SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-17, 09:22 PM   #1
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Improvements?

I have played over 300 hours now. At least one scenario a day...

I am up to date with all the pushed updates.

A couple of things that 'may' still need to be addressed.

1. Large surface combatants should slow after taking a torpedo. There is no conceivable way for the Kiev, Moskva or Kirov to be able to do 30kts after one torpedo hit. Even if the propulsion system is unaffected by the direct explosion (not very likely), the very large hole in side of the ship will cause it to be at least 15-20 knots slower just due to drag. In fact, going faster than 10kts will cause more damage.... Same for the Typhoon.... they need to slow way down or go DIW. Also, the radiated flow noise levels should go way up due to the damage, unless they are DIW, then the radiated noise levels should go down.
I am not sure how the damage algorithm works so I do not know if it is possible to modify it this late into development.

2. 637's and 688's can and do launch torpedoes at flank. There is no detrimental effects to the launcher or the weapon... but of course, you will loose the wire. I stopped complaining about the wires and just fixed that issue myself...

3. Not enough counter-fire from the Soviet side. At a minimum, 50% of the time, counter-fire down the bearing of the incoming torpedo.

4. Airborne sonar buoy's are just a little too good at detection vs. real world performance. Game play, in many cases has a six inch hydrophone having better performance than a three meter array on a submerged platform... and with the airborne asset having to do the processing itself.... that dog wont hunt...

5. The TMA algorithm still is extremely bad when regaining a contact after a short interval (less than 5 min), especially when taking a contact through the baffles. It changes the solution way too much. I would prefer that when sonar looses a contact the solution stays the same, does not ghost out the contact and just generates out until contact is regained. Then a good TMA operator/algorithm will use that at a base line and go from there.

I personally dropped the MK-48 acoustic performance back a bit from the default values.. the detection ranges were a bit too long, except in a perfect isovelocity sonar environment.
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote