SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-17, 04:25 PM   #1
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0
Default Need help

Does anyone re call that there was a method of intercepting convoys when they are over 552 nm from your boat . I re-cal that there was a post about that subject and I cannot find that . if anyone can re-cal that post here I would greatly apprecaite that help in locating this .. thanks for your help

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 06:44 PM   #2
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Plot an intercept course. Just remember with that distance, it's subject to large errors.
Old 10-08-17, 07:08 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

In my experience convoys that far away are just reports. Usually they are erroneous reports and you just spend enormous amounts of time and fuel to not find anything. Ultra reports can be given more credibility but I only chase them if they're less than 12 hours away.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 10:32 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

500+ NM seems like a long shot indeed. But it would depend on how fast the target is moving along his course. And how many curve-balls the campaign designer put into the unit waypoint-scripting. If the contact is bobbing along a 1 kts forward speed towards you then your sub should be able to close the distance in reasonable time at max speed. But realistically?

[EDIT] My reasoning is that by going (really) slow, the uncertain location of the target (due to it's course uncertainty mainly) is still relatively confined. Within 24 hours this should still fit inside hydrophone coverage. If it moves along at a regular transit speed the uncertain course cone disperses out to a wide arc. Obviously the latter is more likely encountered.

Last edited by Pisces; 10-10-17 at 12:23 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 11:39 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... and if in FotRSU, the "time" factor of when the report comes in varies significantly from report to report. The Time Compression you're using at the time of the report coming in can really throw things off. Add to that, some are immediate reports, some are a day old or more. We haven't begun to attempt to emulate an "Ultra" system, other than what AOTD_MadMax had.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote