SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-10, 07:49 PM   #31
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanglavin View Post
Well, to have the conversation here would help anyone else with a similar problem, who don't have to go searchin. So its good to have another one.
I did a general search plus one of the stickied thread for Commander in the Mods forum and didn't find anything specific to that file... so I PM'd JS about it.

I really hope the files I found in Commander are the source of the continuing appearance of the track in-game... I don't know where else it could be coming from, since it's been deleted from the game folder. If that is the source, then a workaround shouldn't be that difficult.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 07:59 PM   #32
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I did a general search plus one of the stickied thread for Commander in the Mods forum and didn't find anything specific to that file... so I PM'd JS about it.

I really hope the files I found in Commander are the source of the continuing appearance of the track in-game... I don't know where else it could be coming from, since it's been deleted from the game folder. If that is the source, then a workaround shouldn't be that difficult.
I FOUND ZE SOLUTION!
actually its a pretty bad solution.
You can uninstall your operating system and then reinstall it. Thats what I had to do after attempting a faulty patch install for SH4. Not fun!
ryanglavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 08:20 PM   #33
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanglavin View Post
I FOUND ZE SOLUTION!
actually its a pretty bad solution.
You can uninstall your operating system and then reinstall it. Thats what I had to do after attempting a faulty patch install for SH4. Not fun!

Okay that's not really that funny. I've only done that once and it was on purpose to get a 'clean slate' after years of accumulating the usual crap on my HD. Still not fun.

Actually just heard back from JS and, yes, it IS safe to delete all the Radio.wav files from the SH3 Commander directories if you don't want them added to your gramophone playlist.
Old 02-12-10, 08:29 PM   #34
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post

Okay that's not really that funny. I've only done that once and it was on purpose to get a 'clean slate' after years of accumulating the usual crap on my HD. Still not fun.

Actually just heard back from JS and, yes, it IS safe to delete all the Radio.wav files from the SH3 Commander directories if you don't want them added to your gramophone playlist.
yeah, i hate system wipes. Its a pain. Thank God JS got back to you so we didn't have to do my horrible ideas.
ryanglavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 08:30 PM   #35
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Come to think of it that function of Commander is pretty cool if you wanted to customize playlists for various dates in the game, I think you could just put the tracks you want to play all the time in the game's Gram folder and then put additional ones in the Gram folders in Commander and it would insert them in the game for the specified date.

You'd just have to be careful with the filenames in both programs, I guess, to make sure you didn't run into the kind of conflict I was apparently having. But it is a neat idea to have date-specific radio broadcasts or even music tracks available for certain important historical dates.

Yikes I just had a mental image of me diligently researching the release date of every single track in my collection to see when it should, in theory, become available to be played as a record on a u-boat, and proceeding accordingly. Knowing me, I will do this at some point.

My goodness the awesomeness of this game and the things people have done to it and what can be done to it to make it even more awesome...
Old 02-12-10, 08:38 PM   #36
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

great you got it sorted!
and hadn't to go back to ryanglavin's solution.

and yes, this sim is becoming better and better by the weeks I'm dealing with it.
Old 02-13-10, 05:35 AM   #37
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Well at least your sorted....crack on

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 09:16 PM   #38
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Just put the finishing touches on current playlist, here's hoping it works.

225 tracks so far, we'll see how long it takes before I manage to live long enough to hear them all.
Old 02-14-10, 07:26 AM   #39
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

a question which I guess might fit in here:

I couldn't track any more info of my fav-song of Jimbuna's collection #1 "All over the Place".
tried wiki and youtube but wasn't successful at all ......
Old 02-14-10, 08:36 AM   #40
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL-alfman View Post
a question which I guess might fit in here:

I couldn't track any more info of my fav-song of Jimbuna's collection #1 "All over the Place".
tried wiki and youtube but wasn't successful at all ......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Gay

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Front-S.../dp/B002WYTT54

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...theplace.shtml

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Songs-Noel-Gay/dp/B000008OWB

Old 02-14-10, 08:57 AM   #41
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

thx a lot!
exactly what I was searching for.
Old 02-14-10, 09:42 AM   #42
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL-alfman View Post
thx a lot!
exactly what I was searching for.
Your welcome

Old 02-14-10, 11:35 AM   #43
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Hmm... well I'm not running into the CTD issue again so far, I think figuring out the Radio.wav bit probably took care of that, will know for sure once I reach one of the dates that Commander has a Gram folder for... but, the in-game gramophone is still skipping over a couple of the tracks.

All the skipped ones I've found so far play fine when I open them outside the game from the Gram folder so I'm not sure why the game doesn't like them. Maybe I just need to create "fresh" .ogg files of them and see if that helps.
Old 02-14-10, 05:21 PM   #44
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

That is very strange because it is usually the ogg.vorbis that don't skip

Old 02-14-10, 07:24 PM   #45
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

I think I figured it out - it still had to do with SH3 Commander inserting files into the Gram folder for certain dates.

What I ended up doing, in order to keep the date appropriate files available to be added in, was rename them all as 010_Radio and then put a file in the Gram folder of the same name, just a music track that I didn't mind not hearing if Commander overwrote it for a certain date range.

However, I found that when I loaded the game for a mission or patrol that started on a date for which there was no Date folder at all in the relevant Commander subdirectory, I still had problems with tracks getting skipped or the game freezing up trying to find the next track in sequence.

For instance, the first Date folder in Commander is 19390901. If I loaded the game to play with a start date in Sep1939 (like for the Courageous mission) there was no problem.

But if I started a career in Aug1939 - problem.

So what I did was create a Date folder in the appropriate Commander subdirectory for every monthly 'slot' in the Aug1939-May1945 timeline that didn't have one, each with the necessary folder structure, and copied the 010_Radio file from the game's Gram folder into all of them.

So far, so good - only when I started a career in Feb1941 and tried to load it the game crashed on me. I disabled all my mods and found that I could successfully load up a Feb1941 career but only when I got down to the point of disabling the first mod I'd enabled, which is GWX St Naz & Schluese. (I was starting out of St Naz so it wasn't a surprise that the problem seemed to reside there - didn't have it when I was starting earlier in the war out of Wilhelmshaven.)

I need that mod enabled to run WB's addl ships mod, so I'd like to have it. But I'm not sure why it's causing me a problem. I thought WB's instructions said to disable everything else, enable St Naz & Schluese, and then enable his mod... but is there something else that needs to be enabled first to make the St Naz & Schluese mod work?

EDIT: Well I got it working. Don't know what I did when I was setting up the mod in the first place but I just decided to delete it from the MODS folder and re-extract it back in. Then enabled it and started a new career in 1941 from St Naz and everything loaded fine... altho I think when I get there in my "real" career I'll either have to start at sea or maybe try the Lite Harbor Traffic because, wow, things were really laggy and choppy getting out of St. Naz.

Which will be a shame because it looks awesome with the mod enabled. SO much better than the stock version which doesn't look like St. Naz at all. Also getting the darn boat out of the modded version the first time was quite an adrenalin rush. "AAAAAIIIIIIEEEEE where's the exit hard to port no starboard wait amidships crap beide maschine zuruck wait no JANE STOP THIS CRAZY THING!!"

Last edited by frau kaleun; 02-14-10 at 09:16 PM.

Tags
gramophone, radio.wav, sh3 commander