SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-18, 02:29 PM   #1
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Default Speed In Knots

I'm curious as to what actual speeds the American submarines traveled at for each setting. Example; 1/3rd, 2/3rd, Standard, Full, and Flank.

I'm thinking just under normal conditions, not taking into effect sea state and other condition which effect speed. All the Mega Mods show different settings, so I'm wondering what they actually were.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 03:16 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, I've got a table of figures somewhere here commander, but I'll have to look for it. I do believe I got it from aanker - during the SH1 days, maybe... - In the meantime, besides being a "throttle" position, if memory serves and hasn't completely abandoned ship on me, it signified how many engines were online, and therefore would vary somewhat, dependent upon the boat. ie: a HORs boat might have Ahead Standard as 3 knots, but only because 2 of the 4 engines were broken...

Edit: Failure... I still haven't found the info, Commander...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-28-18 at 12:56 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 11:45 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I'm curious as to what actual speeds the American submarines traveled at for each setting. Example; 1/3rd, 2/3rd, Standard, Full, and Flank.

I'm thinking just under normal conditions, not taking into effect sea state and other condition which effect speed. All the Mega Mods show different settings, so I'm wondering what they actually were.

I can't find the chart once made, based on information from various books by the skippers so am going on memory.

Typically I believe 1/3 was 3-7 knots roughly, 7-12 1/2 was Ahead 2/3, 12-16 1/2 was ahead standard, usually cruised at around 15 knots. Ahead full was 17-19, ahead flank was 20+. Of course variables depended on load on engines etc.

USs Barb under Fluckey pushed engines at "Ahead Emergency" , "tied down governors" and ran away at 23 knots on surface in 1945.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18, 04:19 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, I've got a table of figures somewhere here commander, but I'll have to look for it. I do believe I got it from aanker - during the SH1 days, maybe... - In the meantime, besides being a "throttle" position, if memory serves and hasn't completely abandoned ship on me, it signified how many engines were online, and therefore would vary somewhat, dependent upon the boat. ie: a HORs boat might have Ahead Standard as 3 knots, but only because 2 of the 4 engines were broken...

Edit: Failure... I still haven't found the info, Commander...
Speed was about the same as SHCE speeds. 'Bud' CO Skate also briefly mentions speed both surfaced and submerged in two of his videos - the *.SMK Bud video files sometimes called Smacker files can be viewed outside SH1 by any player that supports that format.

The graphic displaying speed is buried in my files too, I have it but where is it type thing. It also doesn't help that Hondo took Valor At Sea down a year or two ago - he may have had it.

Ducimus got speed right in later more recent TMO versions with his throttle settings based on patrol reports and a lost page with info on Kickinbak - another fine site gone.

Hope this helps old friends.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18, 06:17 PM   #5
propbeanie

Well, I found my SMK files. Very good stuff... and here is the line-up:
1. Cruiser attack & sinking near Truk
2. Torpedoes
3. Attacking a merchant and breaching right in front of a DD
4. Showing patrol results with Dutch tradition of the broom tied to the mast & using battle flags
5. Okhotsk Sea encountered IJN use of bigger, deeper depth-charges, making the DC Indicator light-up like a Christmas tree...
6. From Australia to Battle of Java Sea, chased by 3 DD
7. Diving procedures. Ahead Standard was 2 engines online, about 15 knots
8. First assignment was to Panama, through German sub territory, thru the canal to Pearl, seeing excessive smoke out exhaust, and ordering the fuel injectors changed-out
9. Life at sea, rotating shifts of 4 on, 8 off
10. Okhotsk Sea, Winter of 44 sinking a merchant and picking up 2 prisoners, happy to be out of the 31 degree sea water, cleaned torpedo room for Captain's inspection a few days later
11. Sub commander versus the battery bank. Keep 'em charged! 3, 6 & 9 knots...
12. Night surface attack and the sub's profile from head-on versus side
13. Desire to be 500-1500 yards out when shooting torps. The closer the better - but not too close, looking for zero gyro angle if possible, using TDC and all tools and people at your disposal. Six seconds between shots, spread across the ship
14. Wide variations in patrols, but generally 15 days out, 15 back, 25-30 in patrol area.
15. Narrator goes over the life history of William P. "Bud" Gruner Jr.
16. Narrator reads Bud Gruner's diving procedures letter, concerning the Diving Officer is the boss, should govern as such, and act like the boss. Precision is required, else Shirley Temple would be qualified as a Diving Officer.
I also found the SlntHntr Manual, which gives the table of telegraph speeds with 1-9 keypresses, but not the actual speeds... If only SH4 was more like SH1 in some of its functionality - but SH4 has the better campaign and graphics... sigh...

Old 05-30-18, 08:53 PM   #6
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, I found my SMK files. Very good stuff... ............
... If only SH4 was more like SH1 in some of its functionality - but SH4 has the better campaign and graphics... sigh...
Nice work organizing and describing them.

Here's the cfg file settings for TMO that will get you that 15+/- knots Standard speed in a TAMBOR and up fleetboat using Ducimus' sim file edits:

AllStop=0.00
AheadSlow=0.25
AheadOneThird=0.50
AheadStandard=0.75
AheadFull=0.90
AheadFlank=1.00

I too miss so much that is absent in SH4 that was in SHCE for the US vs Japan Pacific Theater.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Old 05-30-18, 09:09 PM   #7
propbeanie

I dunno why none of us old fahrtz didn't think of this earlier, but from the RFB 2.0 ReadMe:

Adjusted default surface speeds for all boats (credit to virtualpender for finding the info) as follows:
-Fleet subs: 6, 12, 15, 18, max speed for each respective class
-S boats: 3, 6, 9, 11, max speed for each respective class

I "assume" (such a naughty word) that they mean for Ahead 1/3, Ahead 2/3, Ahead Standard & Ahead Full, but no mention of that. Still, it might help a bit...

Old 05-31-18, 06:38 AM   #8
aanker
Pacific Thunder

You 'assume' correctly kind Sir, and Flank is All Out as in Bubblehead1980's Fluckey quotes.

Yep, virtualpender made that post re: the correct speeds on Kickinbak and is the post Ducimus was referring to..... also jumbled into my massive TMI collection of notes... ha!
Old 05-31-18, 12:36 PM   #9
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote