SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-15, 08:31 PM   #1
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default Killer monsoon

Interesting patrol last night. I was in a monsoon in the Jawa sea (approx 40' seas) when the deck watch spotted a ship just north of Surabaya. It was lone DD guarding the harbor mouth I assume. I was headed back to the barn w/ only 1 torpedo left & decided to take a shot at him.

As I was plotting my attack I suddenly see a sunken ship marker appear right where my DD was. I go back to periscope view & sure enough he's aflame & his bow is pointed at the sky. It was a WTH moment but I shrugged it off as a glitch. I go a hundred miles or so & the monsoon had abated when my deck crew spotted another ship. This was a medium freighted with his stern in the air & screws spinning. It showed to be a valid target so why not. I sent my last torpedo at him & immediately after impact I got a "she's going down" message.

All of this was with RFB & RSRDC. Have y'all seen this before? Can a monsoon wreck ships in SH?
Longknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 09:38 PM   #2
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Absolutely. They can take water or be broken on the rocks. Plus the AI is not particularly good at not running aground
Old 04-15-15, 11:33 AM   #3
SSI01
Loader

Downloads: 56

That's good to know. I've had a few days of about 15-20' seas and wind but interestingly enough no rain and only light fog.

I didn't know you could see ships wrecked by storms in SH. I can tell you I have seen a genuine uproar occur in a convoy after one of my torpedoes struck home on a freighter and whatever that freighter was carrying cooked off in a truly righteous fireworks display. The convoy broke up and a DD got hit broadside by a heavier vessel (can't recall the type) and was rolled upside down, then sank as a result. Sim doesn't score that as a kill for you, apparently as it is an "own goal."
SSI01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 04:40 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Seldom storms sink ships in game, cept some cases if you've torped it. However, some mods do effect such, but I don't think RFB does. You can adjust waves and some mods do that will effect ships, damage and even sink them in storms...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-15, 08:05 AM   #5
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

They get sunk in real life that way ask the Edmund Fitzgerald. If you run ISP this can be in your favor in striking ships wounded by the sea state.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote