SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-15, 11:37 AM   #1
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Default 300K patrol challenge...

One patrol, no refits...TMO/RSRD mods or more...

Can u do it?

I came close once, about 275K....Think I'll see if I can do it

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 12:59 PM   #2
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

While I have never tried something like this my personal best with TMO & RSRD was about 48k.
Old 04-26-15, 01:21 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It was things like this that made me stop going to the UBISoft forums.
Old 04-26-15, 05:11 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It was things like this that made me stop going to the UBISoft forums.

maybe they'll stop u from coming here as well?

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 04-26-15, 08:59 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

It could happen. My last straw there was the "Million Tons Club." When I played Sid Meier's Pirates I turned the entire Spanish Main into the English Main...on Level 3. On Level 4 I didn't last a week.

So, is this 300,000 ton patrol going to be at 100%?
Old 04-26-15, 11:27 PM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It could happen. My last straw there was the "Million Tons Club." When I played Sid Meier's Pirates I turned the entire Spanish Main into the English Main...on Level 3. On Level 4 I didn't last a week.

So, is this 300,000 ton patrol going to be at 100%?

last time i almost got it, but carried about 8 of those m16s....yea, tmo, rsrd and a few other mods, did use stable setting......i sank 3 y's and with deck gun and two 40's almost did it......i goofed or rather failed using the 40's in a storm and took out several smaller merchants with those and deckgun....should've gotten closer for a peek first.......

Old 04-26-15, 11:39 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I think I might have 20,000 tons one of these days...
Old 04-27-15, 03:01 PM   #8
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

I would say 15-20k is about average for me on a single patrol using TMO,RSRDC, ISP & OTC @ 100%.

My 48k one was memorable as I stumbled upon the Shokaku right out of Surabaya. 4 torps spread stem to stern put her down in moments. A cross section of freighters with my remaining 8 torps made for a noteworthy patrol.
Old 04-27-15, 07:43 PM   #9
Armistead
Rear Admiral

well, i'll try it soon, see how close i can get......know just the honey hole to try it again .....just got to sink 3 y's to have a chance.....yea, i know...3...lol

Old 04-27-15, 08:19 PM   #10
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

If a "Y" is Yamato, those are 60k each, 3 would be 180k, you'd need to sink 6 of the beasties to equal 300k. Not that good at math but with an average of 12 fish per Yamato you'd need more fish than a GATO carries, so the "no refit" rule would be a problem. 30 of the 10,000 ton tankers would be a problem too since they require an average of 2 fish each, don't think any fleet boat has 60 torpedoes.

I've done 400k on some patrols using refit several times, main problem I found with that is corrupted or sloooooooooow loading savegames - if I sink 30-50 ships on a single patrol the savegame files gets up to a ridiculous number of megabytes and takes forever to load. For that reason I restrict myself to two refits per patrol these days, then it's time for R&R (Rum & Raucousness) to let someone else fight the war for a while.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 11:40 PM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Doesn't take 12 torps, as i said, u have to carry some m16's, the goal is to sink 3 Y's. bout 190K tons....seems when I got close, about 270K tons, I sunk 3 Y's and only had 3 torps left and sunk a carrier...the rest of the tonnage was a large convoy I attacked in a storm with gun and bofars....had i watched and not sunk smaller merchants I think I would've done it....I really wasn't trying at the time to do 300K, just a challenge paulhager and i had to sink 4 Y's in one patrol, but you would need a full load of M16's to do that...and they must all hit...6 each usually does it and you have to get two into 3 different damage zones..

Old 04-30-15, 02:24 PM   #12
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

If your being realistic there were only 3 Yamato class ships ever built. Two were Battleships and one was converted to an aircraft carrier. All were sunk during the war. Fully loaded your only going to get around 72,000 long tons out of each in real life but the game does not model the tonnage to real life so you get even less.

In the game I have never used less than 6 fish in sinking one and 99% of the time it takes 8 or more in game. I have used as many as 12 to do it.

A Gato carries 24 fish. In any case good luck finding all three in a single patrol. It was never done in real life.

There is a fluke with a certain mod that after a certain date you can find the Yamato sailing out of the Bungo every day at around 1500. I got three that way on one patrol. It tool every fish I had and I got around 180,000 tonnes.

Unless your running the one hit wonder fish your never going to be able to sink 300,000 tonnes in one patrol without a refit.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 09:57 PM   #13
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

How many Yamatos does it take to get to 300,000 tons?

It's like the old question: how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? Or maybe not.

My perspective is, by necessity, a little different.

In my present SH4 life, my first patrol (in command of a S-boat), I was sent to Luzon Strait before war broke out. The weather seemed to turn ugly almost as soon as I reached the PZ. Since both my provisions and fuel were limited [this is a hard-core realism career], I planned to go back to Cavite fairly soon. I saw a couple aircraft, but nothing else.

I went back by going east of Luzon. This turned out to be a mistake, as a perpetual storm slowed my progress a great deal, and the Navy dynamited the fuel stocks, before I could get there. All I could do, is start for Surabaya, and hope for good weather. At this point, fuel was less of an issue than food. I had 45 days of supplies, and just managed to get back in 44 days. The only good thing about the patrol was accomplishing 2 patrol objectives. I did not see a single ship after leaving Cavite, until reaching Surabaya.

For the second war patrol, we were sent to the Molucca Passage. I went at 1/3 speed, as I wanted to have plenty of time/fuel for patrolling. Two weeks and nothing. I make a status report; no new objectives - we are at liberty to play our own hunches. I go to the adjacent area north, just south of Mindanao.

In this area, just before dusk, my soundman reports light merchant screws! Turning the periscope to the bearing - sure enough, a contact! I am very excited, and put on more speed. My position is not favorable, so I must ring up full speed to have a chance. It quickly becomes apparent that my battery will not last long enough to intercept.

After the sun sets, I surface and ring up flank, seas are rough, but I can make about 10 knots, or so. The target ship is headed NNW, but there is an island ahead of us. As we slowly get ahead, it changes course - NE and is then behind us. We are now in a terrible position for a torpedo attack. I order a dive. We can slow, and get a good look as he goes by. My feeling is that there is an even chance it is an American ship headed for the Philippines. As it comes closer, we see it is a coastal composite freighter, under 2,000 tons. As it goes by at 500 yards, I see it has a Dutch flag ......... secure from GC.

Later, we continue north, toward Davao Gulf, but have not seen any additional ships, yet.

300,000 tons?

I would be very happy to get 30,000 tons.

Even 3,000 tons would be ok.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 10:32 PM   #14
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Well, with RSRD if u know where to go, traffic remaining the same, rather easy to get 100K tons per patrol.

Obvious, nothing realistic about it....seems a year or more ago paul, buddy at Ubisoft and I got into a challenge could we sink 3 Y's in one patrol, no refits....and I did, so the next challenge was 4.....only way to do that is start campaign early and save up enuf renown to get a bunch of M16's for 44 and then u couldn't miss....

I found the one patrol and my score was 255K and I had it seems 8 M16's, think I could have done 300K but I sunk many small merchants in a storm shooting by bearing....that one I sunk 3 Y's and didn't have enough torps for the 4th one, so took out a carrier that came by.

Sit outside Brunei Bay early Oct.....until mid Nov 44.....You'll get 3 shots at the center force,...when it arrives at Brunei, few days later leaves for Leyte, then it returns after the battle....maybe a few weeks later, the Y's go there seperate ways and u get another shot.....plus numerous large 30 plus ship convoys come by it using the Palawan shipping lane....but to have a chance to use deck gun and bofars, u really need a storm or u can sit there and take out singles, which would take forever...

Old 05-03-15, 02:13 PM   #15
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Well, don't think I'll get it this round, have sunk two Y's and a few merchants with deckgun, have about 145K tons and 8 torps left, 58 rounds deck gun, both bofors about full. Did carry 6 M16's and using two per Y, still took 8 the first one, but 7 the second one, but I fired an 8th and it was almost there when it finally said sunk...Usually with TMO takes me 8 M14's in four separate damage zones, figured with M16's I could do 7....If I get one more Y that should put me over 200K tons, doubtful I can sink 100Ktons with remaining deckguns and bofars...need to find 10 10Kton tankers...and the 40's are damn powerful in TMO.

However, I have 50% hull damage from the last beating I took...and over half my crew is out, using Trav's mod and hate a crew member becomes 0 rated when he gets into the 80% health....

So I'll wait for the Center Force to leave Brunei and try for one more Y and go carefully looking for tankers....My guess is if I don't die, I'll get about 250K tons yet again..