SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-11, 03:21 PM   #16
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijnfleetadmiral View Post
The ranks in the game go past Lieutenant. I started as a Lieutenant Commander, and have since been promoted to Commander. If I stay playing, I imagine I'll eventually unlock Captain's rank. I've been on five patrols for a total of 102,650 tons sunk. I'll probably get offered a desk job with after my next patrol (I started 9 December 1941; the current date in the game is 5 July 1942), but I don't plan on taking it.

-Matt
One thing dude, I was referring to the crew ranking, not the captains rank. Anyways, good luck with the ships and the tonnage!
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 05:32 PM   #17
Hegemony Cricket
Watch

Downloads: 48
Default Crew Management

This guide had some very useful info for sure. But the thing I was really looking for was missing, that being an explanation of the various color coding of the crew pictures, ie some pictures are full color, others tan colored, and others grey. That information would be very useful.

Happy Hunting!
Hegemony Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 08:11 PM   #18
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

How does a crew gain experience? I read somewhere that they only gain experience at slow time so I left my game running for 24 hours going in a circle with my sub but did notice an experience boost afterwards.

I go to battlestations every time I see am aircraft and crash dive and that doesn't seem to improve my crew stats either. I want to build a crack crew!
Old 04-18-15, 11:56 PM   #19
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony Cricket View Post
an explanation of the various color coding of the crew pictures, ie some pictures are full color, others tan colored, and others grey. That information would be very useful.

!
I have wondered this myself.
Longknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 08:34 AM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I haven't played SH4 in awhile, but as I recall the colors indicate duty status. The full-colored row are on duty. The monochrome pictures are off duty. I don't recall tan vs gray. I just remember them being black and white.
Old 04-20-15, 02:52 AM   #21
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

In my game, the duty shift has a darkened bar over it.

I've noticed a number of odd things about the "crew" lately. Most likely they were always there, but I wasn't paying attention before.
The lieutenants aren't gaining any experience. Maybe this is because they can't be promoted above the skipper's rank? Everyone else gets at least a little, but not my 2 lieutenants.
The green bars at the left (one for every compartment) doesn't seem to have any rational relationship to the actual compartment efficiency. I've noticed it will indicate a moderate level of efficiency, even when everyone in the compartment is asleep.
While watching the efficiencies of the various compartments, I'll see the levels go up or down abruptly. This isn't due to gradual fatigue, nor shift rotation. I'll see the engine room Ef vary from 1.00 to .55 or lower in short periods of time on the same shift. This is without GQ, or such being involved. I can't explain this. I had thought that maybe it was due to some 'leadership' factors, but if it is, I can't see it. It is like suddenly part of the crew gets a jolt of strong java.
I'm wondering if the whole crew coding is working as designed, or has some bugs in it.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 01:26 PM   #22
VIPer530
Watch

Downloads: 7

Any comments on TorpX's observtions?
I don't have his problems with the Lieutenants, but I was wondering about the 2 other points as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
In my game, the duty shift has a darkened bar over it.

I've noticed a number of odd things about the "crew" lately. Most likely they were always there, but I wasn't paying attention before.
The lieutenants aren't gaining any experience. Maybe this is because they can't be promoted above the skipper's rank? Everyone else gets at least a little, but not my 2 lieutenants.
The green bars at the left (one for every compartment) doesn't seem to have any rational relationship to the actual compartment efficiency. I've noticed it will indicate a moderate level of efficiency, even when everyone in the compartment is asleep.
While watching the efficiencies of the various compartments, I'll see the levels go up or down abruptly. This isn't due to gradual fatigue, nor shift rotation. I'll see the engine room Ef vary from 1.00 to .55 or lower in short periods of time on the same shift. This is without GQ, or such being involved. I can't explain this. I had thought that maybe it was due to some 'leadership' factors, but if it is, I can't see it. It is like suddenly part of the crew gets a jolt of strong java.
I'm wondering if the whole crew coding is working as designed, or has some bugs in it.
VIPer530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 02:24 PM   #23
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPer530 View Post
Any comments on TorpX's observtions?
I don't have his problems with the Lieutenants, but I was wondering about the 2 other points as well...
I'm not sure what mods may be involved with his install, but I've got TMO plus a multitude of others added in.
My Lieutenants never gain experience.
As for the other two, I've never noticed. I don't spend a whole lot of time on the crew screen, so I'm rather oblivious until I leave the crew at battle stations for hours.

Regarding SH4, you should really consider the last five words in the post you refer to.
Old 01-29-24, 04:55 PM   #24
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 11

Thak you!

That helped a LOT!

Have not played in over a decade!

Forgot most of it.

Was $9.99 on Steam so I figured what the heck!

20 Year US Navy Retired

Former Squadron CO and founder:
1997~2003
JG2, JG26, Strike Masters
Simulations: Red Baron mega multiplayer, EAW, SDOE, Falcon 4, IL2 Forgotten Battles, MS Combat Flight Simulator 3, too many more to list.
Wolfar is offline   Reply With Quote