SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-08, 04:32 PM   #1
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default 3MP Playable Beta - Download Available

...this should have been released back in mid december, but here it is...

OIGD 3MP playable beta 1 of 3 - by suBB

Release notes as of 012008

1.. Requirements:

a.. LW/AMI Mod > = 3.08

b.. DW patch > = 1.04

c.. Minimum players for MP = 3

d.. show allies = sub ATMA = show dead platforms = recommended off

2.. Installation:

a.. Install the contents of this .zip file into your dw\scenario folder

b.. verify that ‘OIGD 3MP beta 1_of_3_012008.mup’ & ‘XO voice.wav’ are installed in your dw/scenario folder

3.. Designers’ Note:

This beta was created and tested using the latest version of LW/AMI only. There is a good chance that this mission can be played on stock DW. However if this scenario is played on stock, I cannot guarantee the quality and integrity of the design.

This beta is near finished goods and is subject to change until final release. At this point the beta should be 100% functional.

This map was made for MP only. Attempting to play this map in SP mode may not work. However, for a small fee, dual mode capability can be can be arranged. :p

4.. Description:

The map set(three maps) involves a Los Angeles class attack submarine(blue side) tasked to infiltrate red side defenses, gather intel, initiate a missile strike, disengage, and return to safety while akula 2 class submarines along with surface and air assets will attempt to prevent the 688 from infiltrating, gathering intel, initiating the strike and returning to safety. I’m expecting tensions to escalate over the map set, placing players in a ‘scenario’ where critical decision-making, teamwork, planning & strategy can affect your chances of success at any moment of time on a non-linear scale, as witnessed in actual play testing of the official beta.

This file includes a full function playable beta of the 1st map of the set. You may as well call it the infiltration phase of the map set. The name of this map set is yet to be determined. Minor changes will convert the infiltration phase into the escape phase(map 3). The strike mission(map 2) will involve a completely new design.

5.. What to Expect in this beta / map set (generally speaking)

Mission Run-Time (MRT) – 2 to 4.5 hours, depending on the choices made by human players, random intelligence updates for both sides and adaptation to an ever-changing situation. Let it be understood that random spawn box is used for all platforms in the scenario and random search tactic is commonly used for all AI platforms.

Mission Tasking (MT) – Tasking will be sent via radio communications at time of spawn, however there is a brief mention in briefing of what to expect if you decide to control said platform.

Optimized In-Game Dynamics (OIGD) – This being the 2nd attempt in MP in-game dynamics, my mission statement is very clear – to suppress predictability as much as possible. Once again I’ve tried everything to the best of my ability to suppress any sort of predictability of any kind, while in the same time ensure playability, which I figure equates to optimized in-game dynamics but in the realms of MP. There were many factors to take into account in terms of predictability. One factor in particular is not spawning platforms of opposing sides as such to where contact will always be made all the time by the exact same platforms each time the map is loaded and / or shortly after transiting towards a general direction. That coupled with robust AI, sense of freedom, varying skill levels of players, the ever-changing thought-process of players and a scenario where predictability has been minimized(hopefully eliminated), I’d like to say you can expect a non-linear performance curve where literally anything can happen at anytime that can affect your standing orders provided in mission tasking and chances of success, currently optimized at around 50% base chance for both sides. High replay value was intended, and, based on the design, since the only limiting factors are the players’ choices and hopefully not the scenario(s), I hope that high replay value and in-game dynamics have been achieved.

Mission Status / Mission Outcome (MSMO) – In an additional effort to suppress predictability, mission status has been / will be deliberately left out to prevent players from plotting around unfinished objectives that are usually listed in mission status. Instead you will see & hear a global message with audio explaining the outcome when it takes place, signifying the end of the mission.

Random Intelligence Updates (RIU) – Intelligence can be gathered / provided in real-time over the mission run-time duration. Intelligence can be provided by either AI if / when obtained, High Command or other human playable platforms. However if the player isn’t paying attention he / she could miss the intelligence updates which could alter his / her chances of success. Because of this, both sides will experience varying accuracy, quailty & time of reception of intelligence, which lead to varying response times and varying windows of opportunity for both sides, respectively.

Asset Management / Human influence over AI (AM/HI) – Humans can in fact influence AI platforms by promoting a link as unknown in a suspected area, but at the cost of AI efficiency in search / patrolling. If true contact isn’t made by AI over a promoted link, it appears that AI search algorithms will time-out and AI platforms will return to normal search / patrolling. Instructions on influencing AI are included in the tasking of the appropriate platforms.

Transiting to Safe Distance / Welfare of Ownship (TSD/WOO) – at least one platform must transit over distance unharmed within reasonable time at speeds totally subject to the player. Transiting was designed and optimized as such to travel over a distance at reasonable speeds, at arrival times up to the maximum mission-run time duration and not at speeds where the platform can be easily compromised.

Rules of Engagement (ROE) – ROE is in effect & will be determined based on the mission and subject to change based on escalating events, where you may either need authorization to attack(red side), or if weapons come too close to ownship(blue side). If a weapon does come within critical range of ownship, your XO (custom audio) will inform you that ROE has changed and you are authorized to attack if you choose to do so. ROE conditions are provided in mission tasking via radio comms and not in briefing. The mission ends if there is violation of ROE by either side.

Robust AI (RAI) – Thanks to LW/AMI for beefing up the AI but I tend to take it a few steps further in terms of editing. AI has been / will be coded to be as effective as possible in fulfilling the roles they were designed for. AI will also abide to ROE conditions and authorization for attack.

Platform Assignment (PA) – you are assigned platforms in this scenario where there is brief mention in the briefing of what the mission entails for each platform. Be mindful of the performance and limitations of these platforms. To my knowledge, in reality, skippers don’t really have a say as to which platform they wish to control to carry out a mission determined by higher ranking officials. The skipper is just as expendable as the asset being chosen to carry out the mission. Instead the skipper is assigned to a platform and whether the skipper chooses to accept the mission along with available resources is their right of choice. For this reason I try create missions made to justify having platforms included inside them based on the scenario.

A big “thank you” to all of those who supported the effort; old hands and newcomers alike.

Forward - As time permits I have a roadmap already in place to complete the rest of the set, I just need to find the time to do so. Looks like there are some new mods out for DW and future scenarios may include them.

Known issues:

1.. AIM/ HI - humans cannot influence UAV, but will resume random search tactic and promote link to 688 while UAV is still functional and 688 is receiving data.

2.. TSD / WOO – This pertains to the 688 side, where the mission statement is basically stealth. It has been voiced that transiting over distance seemed uneventful since ‘nothing is going on’ in terms of combat and may require more work than simply firing weapons at sonar contacts. If stealth is not your area of interest then red side is highly recommended. However for the ultimate experience, it is recommended to experience the scenario from both sides and from each platform.

Tech notes – I should still have tech notes on the design, workarounds, bugs, fixes etc. encountered in creation of this map. If you would like to know more additional details, please PM me.

That’s it for now. Hope you enjoy this beta.

suBB

Last edited by suBB; 04-02-08 at 06:55 PM.
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote