SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-10, 08:55 PM   #601
yano1966
Watch

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0
Default TDC don't work with abilities points to torp officier...

You must have 0 point of abilities for off torp because the torpedoes are faster and Ubi dev forgotten to increase TDC values...

The torpedoes go too fast for the target...
Old 03-17-10, 11:31 PM   #602
ceedub
Watch

Downloads: 88
Default interesting visual bug re: torpedoes

Hi all.

During my first campaign mission to patrol the British coast. I finally expended my loadout in Grimsby harbour.
I know I should have no torps left but when I amble on down to the fwd torpedo room, there is one fish on the floor waiting to be loaded.
Again, the stores screen shows no torps left.
I'm being stalked by a British destroyer so it gets busy for a while. I return to the torpedo room later and now there are two fish on the deck.
And they can't be used. I tried. Besides I have no interest in the "unlimited ammo" option.
Very minor glitch but I was wondering if the extra bunks in the torpedo room would be lowered once the stores were expended.

Cheers
ceedub
ceedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 03:04 AM   #603
scalelokt
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 35
Default a couple fixes id like to see

Hi all, sorry if these have been mentioned already there are so many posts for SH5 now it takes forever to go through them all.

I'll only mention these two for now since the others are obvious and are surely mentioned already.

1. Enemy communications / awareness: on last patrol a couple AI issues came up that were strange. First set of planes that spotted me were very aggressive trying to sink me (very cool). However later on in the patrol they just started flying right over me and didnt attack at all. I thought maybe weather or time of day was the reason but further testing showed broad day light beautiful weather they just started ignoring me completely. The other example from the same patrol was hunting the english coastline. I decided to slip past the destroyer screens and attack a dock with parked ships. After firing off a salvo I thought sure the many destoryers in the area would be coming quickly, however torpedo after torpedo no one came to help, even though there were many destroyers very close to my position. Granted they were just out of visual range, however seems like a dock being attacked would send some serious hell my way, but no one came.

2. The other thing I noticed, and I could be wrong about this, but if you look at the distances while using auto targeting (the connect the dots business) it looks to me like fast torpedoes have a much greater range than slow torpedoes. I cant remember for sure but I swear it was supposed to be the other way around....
scalelokt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 08:27 PM   #604
Sethorion
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Dunno if this has been brought up yet but sometimes (was fixed for me after I loaded a save a couple of times) when switching through your torpedo tubes it'll say "Closing Torpedo #" but the doors on the sub will actually open and will also close when you're currently using a torpedo tube.

Another bug I found after having to submerge and re-surface a lot due to enemy aircraft is that even after surfacing my cO2 will keep on rising which actually led to me dying from suffocation whilst surfaced with all my doors/hatches open LOL.
Old 03-18-10, 09:29 PM   #605
brandtryan
Engineer

Downloads: 122

Hope this isn't a repeat post--my apologies if it is.

I was tracking a contact, and just had my mouse pointer sitting there motionless, when all the sudden my contact must have moved under my contact, as the window showed its data, as if it were a radio contact. See screenshot--you'll notice there is no icon, or anything like that. I tried to find it again with my cursor once the contact moved off--to no avail.

Old 03-19-10, 03:58 AM   #606
rkk01
Nub

Downloads: 0

Has anyone else got suspicions of SH5 corrupting previous SH games? I know that plenty on here have said there are still lots of common files...

I played SH4 last night for the first time since installing SH5 - tempted back because at my previous SH4 game save I was trying to position myself ahead of an IJN task force, several big pagoda conning towers just breaking the horizon.

Anyway, first off SH4 wouldn't load - couldn't find one of the .dll files. renamed my campaign folder, reinstalled and re-launched.

Now, whenever I re-load an SH4 save, my crew are all wiped out of morale / efficiency (all at 0-10 / 100). Pretty sure they weren't before I installed SH5. All I'd done on this patrol was cruise over towards Honshu after topping off the bunkers at Midway.

Also, the sound was looping through exploding depth charge effects even though there were no destroyers around, and my fuel / batteries dropping off to zero in minutes as if taking heavy damage???

Not noticed these effects in SH4 previously. SH4 are both in a shared ubisoft directory, but the game files should all be in separate SH4 and SH5 files

ETA - all of my SH4 settings have also switched from imperial to metric.....!!
rkk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 05:38 AM   #607
tonyw
Seaman

Downloads: 53

Plotting lines and markers are not saved in savegames
tonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 01:29 PM   #608
KodiakPA
Gunner

Downloads: 7

Need help, please.

Running Impulse version 1.1.5

I can only run the stock version of the game. If I add a mod, using JSGME, I get CTDs or I can't do anything.

Example: running superguns mod and more powerful torpedos 1.0 and I load an in port save. If I try to talk to the officer to get my orders none of the pop up dialog boxes show up. This only happens when I use a mod and then it stays like this after I uninstall the mod.
Old 03-19-10, 01:56 PM   #609
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Some more little things to report:

1) LOD model probably needs adjusting on lighthouses. Here are two shots. The second is taken a few metres further forwards than the first, to illustrate how the lighthouse 'pops into view'. Really, shouldn't it be possible to see it from further away? It's a lighthouse! It's meant to be seen! (If you use the binoculars it can be seen from far away)

2) During a crash dive, it is impossible to go through the forward hatch of the command room. Due to the angle of the boat, the camera doesn't 'drop' low enough to allow you to pass through. You can't get through until the boat starts to level out.

If you try it, you'll get stuck here:

3) "Unknown" contact type with zero speed, despite the description and mouse tooltip indicating that it's a merchant.

4) Internal conning tower graphics showing through the exterior conning tower when the external camera is higher than the hatch on the bridge.

Disappears if external camera is lower than the hatch, as the internal graphics are then not rendered.

Reported in other threads. Doubt it can be changed:

5) Anybody else see random blobs or clouds of smoke appearing at times? Only happens when other ships are nearby, either in port or close to a convoy, for example.

I have a funnel smoke mod installed (to correct the fault of smoke not appearing at distance). It may be related to that.

Lots of examples:

Lots of little 'blobs' in the distance. I think it tends to occurs after changing cameras (internal to external, periscope to first-person etc.)

And here's a huge wall of smoke that sometimes appears near harbours. If I move the camera around or rotate the view, it disappears, but comes back again if I move to certain places.

Again, could be mod-related. Wondered if anybody else has it...?

6) I'm sorry to bring up grammar again, but the crew conversations seem to be mostly devoid of apostrophes!!! It makes the text terrible to read in places. Did nobody check it?

In one block of text, some are missing (red) and some are present (blue)... ?

Practically every sentence has a missing apostrophe.

Still enjoying the game overall, despite the troubles
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:36 PM   #610
KodiakPA
Gunner

Downloads: 7

Never mind, operator error
Old 03-19-10, 08:16 PM   #611
Herodotus
Sailor man

Downloads: 85

I have sunk over 50 merchant ships and more than 20 warships, yet each time I load my saved Career it seems I have only sunk between 20-25 Merchant ships (varies with every load) and either ten or seven warships. My tonnage, however is correct.
Also, if I sink a Capital ship in harbour, and it's not part of the Mission Objective, it just reappears the next time I go out.
Hmmmm.
Herodotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 08:39 AM   #612
wetgoat
Loader

Downloads: 101

Loved this one; Over half way through the channel on my way to western app. mission. Had already used all torps except two. Saved and quit to go to work. Got back, reloaded, everything the same, except now I have full load of torps! Only explaination I can think of is, torp guy had them FedEx'ed overnight! There will be a medal in this for him!
wetgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 07:29 AM   #613
cwil757
Watch

Downloads: 95
Default scappa flow

so I was playing earlier today.... went into scappa flow very easily through the channel to the east. snuck up on some big targets there and let em' have all my fish.... sunk a battleship afterwards I noticed that no one was chasing me? no loud destroyers headed my way, nothing! so I decided to save it and head back to refit and come back because hell, that was really easy, there are tons of other targets there..... and no one was chasing me! I wanted to see if I could take out every ship there so after going back to refit I head back and when I get there I notice that the ships I had just sunk have risen from the merky depths right where they were! crazy huh? my tonnage did not change it was still way up there. so I said what the heck lets sink them again and it turned into a vicious cycle. It was easy to sink the same battleship 3 or 4 times before getting bored with it, especially when no one is after you. I also experianced some consistant crashes to the desktop after sinking and saving.... I'm sure it happens in every harbour and if so how could that have been overlooked before release..... thats just silly...........
cwil757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 01:21 PM   #614
Decoman
Frogman

Downloads: 24

Open/closed Torpedo tubes:

There is an undocumented hotkey, that floods/opens a torpedo tube. This is confirmed as one watch the outer torpedo door open, but without any animation. It either flips open or closed.

Afaik, when this hotkey is pressed, the tube will flood/open, but the message stated is "Closing tube1". This is obviously wrong.

I can open the first tube, and eventually cycle the rest of the tubes in sequence and end up having them all open, but it's a mess and nothing is intuitive beyond this other hotkey that cycles between the selection of torpedo tubes.

I do not know if having opened the torpedo tubes shaves off time when firing a torpedo.

There is also a bug it seems with the outer torped tube opening. It seems like a circular shadow is cast onto the outer door that swung inwards. Anyway, this circular black shape looks odd and doesn't make any sense really.

Some mods are in use, but I don't think they are interfering.

Edit: It's the same with shadows turned off or on apparantly.

Last edited by Decoman; 03-21-10 at 01:35 PM.
Decoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 03:58 PM   #615
Scoochy
Sparky

Downloads: 24

The torpedo tube animation is in 2 parts. The outer door swings inward, then the tube covers open inwards. The tube covers are most likely th eblack circles you are seeing.