SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-12, 04:16 PM   #1
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
questions about a patrol

1: Do you attack every single hostile merchant en route to your assigned zone or rather save your eels for the ones engaged by your patrol grid? Do you let small and medium freighters pass and deal with only the bigger and fatter ones (e.g. 10,000+ GRT). What was the case in real life?
2: Do you attack every single hostile merchant even in the course of a storm when wind speed is 15 m/s and big waves make torpedo failure probability high? Is it worth firing (wasting?) 3-4 eels on a coastal freighter to guarantee the sinking which I'd attack with the deck gun in clear weather? Or is it wiser to wait for the storm to pass and attack only during optimal (or at least more advantageous) circumstances. What did real U-boat commanders do in this case?
Old 10-12-12, 04:29 PM   #2
boneman
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
usefull website

http://uboat.net/

Good luck Skipper!
Old 10-12-12, 05:13 PM   #3
Raptor
Weps

Downloads: 54

I pick and choose because, unlike a real u-boat skipper, I know that SH3 - with or without GWX - is LOADED with juicy targets whose type and GRT do not correlate with reality for the timeline. Given a little advanced knowledge of historical shipping routes during each year of the war, all I need do is go to one of those areas and wait. SH3 is too target-rich for reality. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, until 1941 when the fish start shooting back. Turning off map updates helps level the field a bit.

On one patrol, I sank 3 whale factory ships, 3 ceramic ocean liners, and two troop transports - all sailing alone or in pairs - because I found a spot where GWX routes them in succession along parallel paths.

Realistically, a u-boat was expected to attack every legitimate target it encountered, weather and tactical situation permitting. For all they knew, that might be the only ship they would see on the entire patrol and every ship sunk, irregardless of size or cargo, reduced the allies' available resources accordingly.
Old 10-12-12, 05:37 PM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Seize the moment. Sinking ships gains renown. Torpedoes in stores only gain dust and corrosion.

But 3-4 on one ship, in bad weather???? These things are not like shooting hail. There are only so many of them available in your boat.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 09:44 PM   #5
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143

I tend to use up my rear torps on the way to the patrol area, and then use my frontal ones to rip apart convoys.

Man, I love it when you hit a fuel carrying tanker.... the explosion... so satisfying. Unless its stormy weather and you had to get so close that the explosion causes a bad case of "death" to your sub.

Edit : Wait wut. My title thing and picture, I fear no man... but that... thing.... it scares me
Old 10-12-12, 10:37 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Make another post. It only lasts for one.
Old 10-13-12, 04:29 AM   #7
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

"Wild Night in Bangkok" ei...
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 05:42 AM   #8
TabbyHunter
Ensign

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet Creeper View Post
I tend to use up my rear torps on the way to the patrol area, and then use my frontal ones to rip apart convoys.

Man, I love it when you hit a fuel carrying tanker.... the explosion... so satisfying. Unless its stormy weather and you had to get so close that the explosion causes a bad case of "death" to your sub.

Edit : Wait wut. My title thing and picture, I fear no man... but that... thing.... it scares me

Seems to scare everyone, that Avi.
TabbyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patrol, patrol grid, storm, weather