SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-06-16, 09:26 AM   #1
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Will the recent string of incidents increase aggressiveness of russian navy?

This year has not been a great year for NATO navies.

We started the year in a mass panic as russian navy submarines were operating at an increased tempo. All across Northern Europe countries were reporting violations of territorial waters by russian submarines, with most of these submarines not being prosecuted by the combined searches of several navies. The general consensus of the media was that Russian submarines were free to transit where ever they pleased and NATO was struggling to counter. Not a great start.

I also want to point out the string of incidents in the past few months.

We had a whistle blower calling out the British Royal navy on the poor condition of the royal navies SSBN fleet.

We had reports of several US ship and sub commanders being released of duties for "loss of confidence in abilities to command"

Then we had the collision of HMS Ambush with a merchant ship near Gibraltar.

We had a US navy crew get captured by the Iranians after getting lost.

A month later, there was a collision between an American SSBN and her support ship.

And now we have the latest string of mechanical failures in the LCS ships. All of which are being blamed on crew error.

You combine this with what the Russians view as a fairly successful year with both their northern, caspian, and Black Sea fleets having successful exercises and some of them performing fairly well in combat operations in Syria; and their latest aggressiveness against NATO navies, it makes me wonder if the recent events might shape russian views on the competency of the NATO navies, and might lead to more bold actions by the russian federation and others?

Does the subsim community have any views on this point?
Old 09-06-16, 11:18 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

The thing is the Russian navy is a good deal worse (Kursk) they just don't advertise...till decades later. Their constant probing = they're not exactly hiding keeps us on our toes alerting us to our own short comings; so it's a good thing. Plus we'll take over their 'international' space station if they get seriously outta hand.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 02:08 PM   #3
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Well said. But I want to point out that the Russian navy has come a long way since the Kursk sank. Back then they were only in the starting stages of recovery from about 15 years of neglect and underfunding. Their fleet was rotting away at the docks with no money to operate them, repair them, or perform overhauls, and no new ships were being built. There was little money for training of men, and a lot of men were not being paid.

After the last 10 years of cleaning up their act and proper funding, and though not quite the world superpower as they were in the 70s or as big as the US navy is, the Russian navy is probably at it's highest capibility and readiness it's been in 30 years.
Old 09-06-16, 04:21 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Congratulations Comrade! U R now in charge of post soviet propaganda "And gentlemen abed in Moscow R 'Akursk they R not here!"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 09-06-16, 04:45 PM   #5
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Hahaha that is an amazing picture. Thank you comrade kaptain! You just made my day XD
Old 09-06-16, 06:56 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Remember comrade even on our current economic upswing U will still need your own shovel and long johns! After all, it's not just a submarine...it's a submersible gulag too; at least the lighting holds up all night long at Gadzhiyevo/Yagelnaya Bay!

Old 09-06-16, 07:25 PM   #7
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Nyet comrade, it's even better then gulag. We can turn on air conditioning combined with freezing ocean water to make it even colder then traditional gulag, and we can give the men even less personal space by cramming them into spaces sandwiched by equipment, and giving them enough beds so only 1/3 can sleep at a time, and nowhere to go where they can truly feel free. Heck, we can even take submarine to american coast and let them look through pariscope to see capitalist freedom to tease them. We shall call it "project 975 improved gulag-in-tin-can"
Old 09-07-16, 12:47 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed150mph View Post
Nyet comrade, it's even better then gulag. Heck, we can even take submarine to american coast and let them look through pariscope to see capitalist freedom to tease them. We shall call it "project 975 improved gulag-in-tin-can"
Comrade propaganda officer... Your pardon excellency but there R a few problems! Problem one: even getting to America....The navigator is a Chechnyan idiot! AND...The political officer cultivates favor by making homemade vodka which unfortunately nearly killed the crew as the bags of cut-rate fermented potatoes came from an illicit nuclear death-zone Chernobyl farmer market:
As for looking through the periscope...that privilege is bartered by the officers and as the economy is thin right now due to sanctions by Capitalist imperial western dogs, teasing anyone with a view of proletariat heaven will not work!

Old 09-25-16, 03:46 AM   #9
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed150mph View Post
This year has not been a great year for NATO navies.

We started the year in a mass panic as russian navy submarines were operating at an increased tempo. All across Northern Europe countries were reporting violations of territorial waters by russian submarines, with most of these submarines not being prosecuted by the combined searches of several navies. The general consensus of the media was that Russian submarines were free to transit where ever they pleased and NATO was struggling to counter. Not a great start.

I also want to point out the string of incidents in the past few months.

We had a whistle blower calling out the British Royal navy on the poor condition of the royal navies SSBN fleet.

We had reports of several US ship and sub commanders being released of duties for "loss of confidence in abilities to command"

Then we had the collision of HMS Ambush with a merchant ship near Gibraltar.

We had a US navy crew get captured by the Iranians after getting lost.

A month later, there was a collision between an American SSBN and her support ship.

And now we have the latest string of mechanical failures in the LCS ships. All of which are being blamed on crew error.

You combine this with what the Russians view as a fairly successful year with both their northern, caspian, and Black Sea fleets having successful exercises and some of them performing fairly well in combat operations in Syria; and their latest aggressiveness against NATO navies, it makes me wonder if the recent events might shape russian views on the competency of the NATO navies, and might lead to more bold actions by the russian federation and others?

Does the subsim community have any views on this point?
Perhaps if the west stopped encircling Russia they wouldn't be aggressive towards them, buy a map then look up all the locations of american and western bases you will find they encircle both Russia and China so in that sense who is the aggressor?

If you look at the state of play between the USA and Iran he reason america wont invade is because it would be pretty suicidal heavy casualties.

Russia supplies around 16% of oil and gas to Europe if Russia imposed its own sanctions on this then Europe would suffer for a while.

if you look at the actions of where the incidents are taking place such as the fly overs in Baltic and Black sea your basically antagonising them in thier own back yard put it simply why is america warships thousands of miles from their coast? when the Russian planes are just a few hundred.

Also NATO agreed back in 1992 it wouldn't expand and it did so what does that tell the duma? you think Russia has trust issues take a look into out own policies

why are there foreign NATO war planes in the Baltic states ? (now part of NATO which remember NATO promised it wouldn't expand) Russia has little interest in the states, whats more just as they probe the airspace we do it to them too so its tit for tat.

Its no longer a secret that NATO and western submarines lay off their coast line been known for years but why ? and why do you get so upset when they lay off ours? after all we are doing it to them.

the USA foreign policy in Syria was to get rid of Assad (which is against the UN mandate for not allowing regime change) the Russians are helping Assad (in the most uncouth way) but they are not technically breaking the main mandate of regime change by the way both UK and USA supported actively the change of governments in Libya Syria and Iraq so who actively ignores the UN?

There are many incidents each and every year but this is what you need to understand about the Russians

The navy especially because they don't venture that far beyond their own waters and when they do its to make a statement such as cruising through the panama heading down to Australia its just showing yes i can reach you if you threaten me.

The problem is a lot of people don't get the Russian people and their way of thinking and it really is simple almost neanderlithic in a way you threaten me i threaten you you hit me i hit you.

If you look at the navy is mostly some aggressive platforms (Kirov and slava cruisers) but mainly most are smaller frigates and corvettes and submarines.

we know the Russian navy wouldn't last a long time against NATO or American navy but look at our navies they are built for the strike role the Russian navy isn't

As they say "Keep poking the bear and one day it will bite"

That's the way the Russians see things

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 09:00 AM   #10
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Chess moves, perhaps?

U.S. sensors detect Russian subs near cables - CNNPolitics.com
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/28/politi...sion-atlantic/
CNN

Oct 28, 2015 - U.S. sensors detect Russian submarines near underwater cables ... Russian Dagestan Missile Ships ... down the East Coast of the United States last month, it set off alarm bells inside the world of U.S. naval intelligence.

BREAKING: Chinese Military Ships Violate US Waters
controversialtimes.com/news/breaking-chinese-military-ships-violate-us-waters/

As both China and Russia conclude their first ever joint Navy exercises, Chinese warships have been spotted just 12 miles from US soil off the coast of Alaska.

Russian Spy Ship Now Off Hawaii, US Navy Protecting ... - USNI News
news.usni.org › Aviation
United States Naval Institute

Jul 6, 2016 - Moscow has dispatched a Russian spy ship off the coast of Hawaii to ... U.S. Pacific Fleet spokesman Lt. Clint Ramsden told USNI News this ...

What Are Russians Doing Off The Coast Of Florida? |
www.govtslaves.info/russians-coast-florida/

In addition to that though, during previous visits to the US east coast by the tug, ... to assume that Russia is operating submarines off our East coast naval bases.

Navy Spotted Russian WAR SHIP Near Georgia NUCLEAR ...
http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/n...ia-nuclear-sub...

Now, a Russian ship has been spotted off our East Coast. ... U.S. intelligence ships, aircraft, and satellites are closely watching a Russian military vessel in the ...

Russian subs near US coast pose no threat: Pentagon | Alternet
http://www.alternet.org/.../russian_...hreat%3A_penta...
AlterNet

Russian submarines patrolling off the US east coast are not cause for ... attack submarines used for spying, guarding warships and tracking nuclear bombers.

Russian spy ship spotted near US sub base | Fox News
http://www.foxnews.com/.../russian-s...us-sub-base.ht...
Fox News Channel

Sep 3, 2015 - When asked if the U.S. had similar spy ships off the coast of Russia, he answered, “Of course we do, what do you think all those 'oceanographic ...

Russian warships make Soviet-era display of might off coast of Syria ...
www.theguardian.com › World › RussiaThe Guardian

Jan 21, 2016 - Russian warships make Soviet-era display of might off coast of Syria.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 10:30 AM   #11
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

To be honest i do believe its just tit for tat they did it we got to do it and the cycle goes on.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 10:35 PM   #12
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
To be honest i do believe its just tit for tat they did it we got to do it and the cycle goes on.
Tit for tit and tat for tat is an old Greek poem 500 bc I think

I am echo ... tit for tit and tat for tat

If you say that then I will say that

tit for tit and tat for tat

If you say something then I must

tit for tit and tat for tat

I am echo

Now who could have a tongue more just
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote