SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-16, 06:18 AM   #1
Xaron
Ensign

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Icon2 Need some native speaker!

Hey guys,

for our upcoming game I think it's quite a good idea to think about having a native speaker for some reports in the submarine.

So would you report, that a destroyer starts a new attack run after it dropped some depths charges and turns around to attack you again?

In German we would say: "Zerstörer startet neuen Anlauf, Herr Kaleun!".

THANKS!
Xaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 12:25 PM   #2
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default Almost a literal translation.

For an English version (well American English anyway!) of that report in a U-Boat, I'd say the best translation would be "Destroyer starting another attack run, Captain!"

In a WWII USN Fleet Boat, that report would be about the same, but not exactly and not even identical from one boat to another. The specific circumstances, as well as the degree of "informality" allowed by the CO and/or XO would determine the way in which reports were made. I'm sure you recognize that there are also considerable differences between Navy's of different countries and between submariners of WWII and today.

Under most similar circumstances for a USN WWII Fleet Boat, I'd expect the Sonar Operator would report "Destroyer now bearing 'XXX', estimated range 'YYY' (if he could provide a reasonable range estimate), turning port/starboard, speed increasing/decreasing (or turn-count 'ZZZ'), closing (or starting attack run)." In most USN boats he would not have added a "Sir" or "Captain" to the report...unless the CO (or XO or Diving Officer) had given him an order to "Report"; even in stressful situations there was an air of informality. In dire straits, the report could end up being as terse as above..."Destroyer starting another attack run, Captain!"
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 02:09 AM   #3
Xaron
Ensign

Downloads: 0

Thank you very much! So with an "attack run" I'm not that wrong, good!

Over there at FB someone mentioned they say "Destroyer coming about sir!"
Xaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 10:04 AM   #4
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default No...

A sonar/hydrophone operator would not use that terminology...it's a term that suits sailing ships when tacking...not destroyers changing course.

A deck watch officer or a lookout/signalman on a surface ship might use that terminology, if they had some sailing experience.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote