SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-17, 10:55 AM   #1
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Need Help and as Much Info as I can Get on the Ohio Class!

So, I'm a hobbyist programmer and a few friends and I came up with an idea last night to make a total conversion mod for one of our favourite multiplayer games to turn it into a subsim. The game is set on a space ship, and each and every member of the crew is a human player, from the commanding officer down to the cook in the galley.

Now, where we need help: Since this game is so comprehensive, we're going to need a complete idea of the interior of our submarine (we've pretty much settled on setting this game in an Ohio class SSBN), down to every pipe, wire, console, hatch, ladder, locker, and piece of equipment. We'd also need a full crew complement so we can get an accurate idea of the command structure and such (the game will be roleplay focused). Although, since each character requires a player behind him, the crew complement will have to be rounded down for sheer practicality. In addition, it would be nice to have images of the consoles and stations so we can design GUIs that resemble the real thing when interacting with them in game.

The reason we need such complete details is that this game has full engineering simulation, including electrical systems (which can be damaged and repaired, eg: cut wires, battery fires, etc), atmospheric systems like ventilation, reactors, and more.

I know this may not be possible, and I can't guarantee this game will happen, but in the meanwhile, it's a fun project to work on in our spare time. We have been unable to find such a sheer amount of information ourselves, but if anyone can do it, I know it's my fellow enthusiasts here on subsim!

Last edited by SiegDerMaus; 08-12-17 at 11:08 AM.
SiegDerMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 11:17 AM   #2
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

nice try commie spy

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 11:18 AM   #3
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

If it will help, we can always change it to the George Washington class, or one of the other "41 For Freedom" types, might be a bit more info available on it.
Old 08-13-17, 02:37 AM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 7

probably get a basic layout plan and even that will be the bare basics but even the boats going back as far as the 50's will still be classified.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 03:50 AM   #5
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

I think I could probably extrapolate what I need from a basic floor plan. It wouldn't be 100% accurate, but relatively close.
Old 08-13-17, 09:38 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

SiegDerMaus!Please forward my rubles to Isle of Guernsey Bank of Julius Baer:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-13-17 at 09:55 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 09:05 PM   #7
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegDerMaus View Post
If it will help, we can always change it to the George Washington class, or one of the other "41 For Freedom" types, might be a bit more info available on it.
I hope your not a commie spy ... we do get our share around here. Your game sounds interesting. For years now the trend has been towards crew involvement, but yours is different with each player being a different crewman or woman now days.

The real boomer's started with the USS Ethan Allen class SSBN 608. The George Washington was just a pre-planed SSN cut in half and a missile section added.

If you are a commie spy we will have to hang Aktungbby for treason.

Welcome aboard and keep us informed ... Do you have financial backing? This game will take a lot of work
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 11:02 PM   #8
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

It won't be as much work as it sounds. The game I'm basing it off of already have a lot of assets and resources to work with (not to mention that it uses retro graphics entirely composed of 32x32 pixel sprites). So far it's just me and a few friends.

As it is, the game has these features: A ship, a simulated, simplified "overmap" that shows the ship as a dot and other contacts as dots (other contacts don't actually exist in game outside of those dots, if they fire a weapon at you it will just be spawned at the edge of the map the real ship is on), consoles that can be used to move the ship on that overmap, engine systems that currently depend on gas heat and pressure to calculate acceleration and speed at runtime based on engineering's performance, as well as full damage and repair simulation.

With that in mind, most of the work will be making new sprites and changing space to water.
Old 08-16-17, 01:32 AM   #9
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

I've started working on the map for my subsim. This is what I have of deck one. Right now, it's just a sub shaped space ship, we'll start adding the code to convert the game's space to water later. Shiny metal doors stand in for hatches, computers stand in for fancy consoles, and a shield generator stands in for the periscope. There are a lot of sprites to redo. Forward is the space for the sonar, followed by the radio room, the sonar room, a room for the escape hatch, the command room, and navigation. That's all I've got for now, I'm going to bed.
Old 08-13-17, 01:31 PM   #10
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > SiegDerMaus
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 04:04 PM   #11
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

Thanks a lot Aktungbby! Those cross sections and diagrams should really help get me started. I would like to know where the hatches are for transiting between decks as well, if that information is out there anywhere.

And thanks for the welcome, THEBERBSTER. Long time member, first time poster here. Before I was just here for the mods.

Edit: I'd still like a crew manifest, as the game is divided into "job slots", so I'd need job titles for the crew. A general idea of where equipment is stored would also be helpful, too, such as the Steinke Hoods, firefighting gear, tools, armoury (even though I'm told they only carry a few M9s and a shotgun or two, maybe an AR), protective gear, medicine, etc.

Last edited by SiegDerMaus; 08-13-17 at 07:35 PM.