SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-17, 01:43 AM   #1
Imarider
Mate

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0
Default Reason of CTD and bugs

What files may cause CTD and bugs, when loaded save? I know about LAA and other stuff like this, but those CTD not look like memory problems. Becouse when i install OM or Atlantic Campaign clear, without some other stuff, there no ctd. But for some reasons i wont play OM (easy tonnage in Harbours), and i prefer Atlantic campaign, but some stuff like environment or rotating hydrophone or emblem no in this mod, so i need to mix it, and did that many times, got some understanding about what files do what, but still have a bug when load save or ctd. Sometimes i mixed and all be ok - no ctd, no bugs. But now it is. If someone have some idea, pls talk to this thread. May be it's a environment files or ShipParts files, that i change, Crew members e t. c.. I mean, yes i mix a big mods, but i know what i do (as far as i know), just some files cause those buggs and CTD. Every, who have some idea, pls, talk to this thread. Thanks for help.
Imarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 04:50 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I do not know what you are referring to when you say 'so I need to mix it', but if you are taking bits of one mod and mixing in bits of another mod, that could well be a major problem that would cause a CTD. Most modders, and Lurker with RSRDC & OM probably being at the top of the list, take the time to test their mods under multiple situations to find problems. So much so, that they will partially dis-assemble their mod and the game to only have certain aspects active, to eliminate potential influences on their test results. I'm talking weeks and months worth of testing things. I would not expect that OM, or TMO or RSRDC or GFO etc etc etc to be causing very many issues, other than what were already in the game, such as bad game dates that only affect one out of thousands of plays. But you put parts that are not designed to work together, active in the same game, and you could well have problems.

The main problem with SH4, and to a certain extant SH3, when it comes to the Save games, is corruption in the Save folder. Most of the time though, it is a self-inflicted wound, which many times actually 'cross-contaminates' the game itself, ruining your game install, as well as any mods you have activated. If you are like a lot of us Silent Hunter players, you do not play the game with just one mod installed. You are always looking for that 'mix' as you say, that will make the game all that much better. But what happens, is if you Save the game and have Mod A activated, and then play the game later, but have Mod B activated and restore that previous Save, the Save data will contaminate what you already have. It may well look like the game is functioning as intended, but in the background, you are getting all sorts of mixed up bits of data. Then you save again, maybe activate Mod C the next time you go to play, and it will not load the Save at all. Now you go back to Mod B, and it now crashes completely. So you load Mod A again, and it also will not work. In desperation, you unload all the mods, and try to run Stock, and even it will not work now... All because of trying to load a Save from a different mod than what you had been running when you Saved. Even seemingly insignificant changes in the game can cause the issue. In my opinion, that is the main cause behind game crashes. It would have been nice if there would have been an error catching routine on Save loading, but there isn't. Coming in 2nd place may be bad mod activations when the folder structure in the MODS folder isn't correct. That's my 2 cents worth of opinion, in a 10 dollar space of the thread... |;^) - verbosity rules!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-04-17 at 09:03 AM. Reason: lah-dee-dah = who cares about the order the words appear?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 08:42 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Kakopis!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 09:49 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I know it's a few weeks old Kakopis, but I forgot to mention above that if you're doing your own modding tweaks to the game's files, you are better off making a copy of the files that you are working on, and build your own mod. That way, you can activate it with JSGME, and if things crash on you, just back the mod off. Also, it's better if you break your edits down into steps, or parts, that are related, and only add one part at a time to your mod. Activate it and test it. If it seems to work OK, then add the next part and test it... Once all your parts "pass the muster", then you can combine them and see what happens...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote