SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-17, 10:56 PM   #1
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default Release Date Pushed back again

Latest on the Steam page is a release period of 3Q 2017.

looks like we are going to be steaming into September+ before a hard release date is known

on the one hand, we have seen developers advertise heavily on the eye candy and push back release dates and build anticipation only to pull a bait and switch in delivering a sub par product with minimal post release support

on the other hand, it could be that the dev team is wanting to release their product in as close to perfect condition as possible. Goodness knows we have seen our fair share of premature releases in the subsim genre over the last decade

i for one think that Uboot is a promising title and has a lot to offer based solely on what i have seen, but i maintain a bit of skepticism and will certainly be posting a detailed review of the game giving the good, the bad and the ugly as soon as i possibly can find the time to play it for a week or so, organize my thoughts and present them here.

so what do you guys think?

looming eye candy bait and switch tactic - or - dedicated dev team trying their best to out-deliver previous subsim genre titles ?
Old 04-03-17, 03:35 AM   #2
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Well, we at Killerfish are consistently too optimistic on release dates. The reality is that development always takes longer than anticipated and especially if you have a small team that cannot afford to release a subpar product.

If you look at Uboot, the scope of their game has clearly grown by orders of magnitude since the initial kickstarter.

I also don't think anyone seriously tries to pull a 'bait and switch' - that is almost always the result of ambition being greater than the means to pull it off. STALKER was a good example of this.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 05:08 PM   #3
burki
Watch

Downloads: 121

Not really doing a bait and switch, but I really wish they would let backers and donors have access to it soon. We were suppose to have access to it in January. They've pushed it back maybe because of the board game, which is a bad idea I think. Really hope those who backed the game have access to it soon. Tired of the pushbacks.
burki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 07:45 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I always give the developers the benefit of the doubt. They will do their best.
Old 04-03-17, 11:35 PM   #5
qiaoyech
Watch

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

I agree with Julhelm. The chance that a small developer team would delay release to con players is much smaller than bigger titles.

The only way they would take the same pay for more work is when they want to build a nice reputation. Now if they start to offer day-0 DLCs and cosmetics then I'd start to be skeptical. Until they, I cheer for the devs for trying hard to make it a superior release.
qiaoyech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 01:10 PM   #6
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

No matter what a publisher/developer says about a release date, you must always read it as "when it's done"

Frankly, I'm always more worried when the release date stays too firm, because things rarely go according to plan - and vice versa, delays aren't necessarily a bad thing.

In fact, if Silent Hunter III wasn't delayed by nearly a year (in order to add a dynamic campaign), I'd bet most of us wouldn't even be here on Subsim today

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 02:29 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Very true. We'll just have to be patient.
Old 04-05-17, 07:06 PM   #8
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Very true. We'll just have to be patient.
And let's also not forget that Subsim (and you yourself, Neal) had played a big role in pushing for that delay so that the campaign was in

Plus, from what I've seen of Uboot, it seems that it has been receiving a facelift lately to improve immersion and make it look sharper. Again, a good thing for our hobby - especially if we want to draw in new people who otherwise wouldn't try a submarine game

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 01:52 PM   #9
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Since they (Devs) are rather silent with anything new or even updates such as "Hey we are still working on it" I am going lean towards the bait-and-switch side.

No updates on Steam, Kickstarter and Facebook. And the last update on Kickstarter is to promote a "friend's" game.. yea... sorry, not buying it. I feel more and more like backed a lemon on Kickstarter, and would take my money back if I could.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 08:32 PM   #10
qiaoyech
Watch

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

And the day after your post
Quote:
Hey there! Just a small update to calm the atmosphere a bit.
As we've stated earlier, UBOOT had inflated a lot since our campaign. Many of you clearly had much higher expectations than our initial design assumed.
State of our work is as follows:
- Game design and all game features are complete.
- There is still a considerable amount of lacking content - mostly missing icons, voices, translations, cities.
- Some major bug fixes are still needed all around.
We are pretty sure that all of that work will end in Q3. We apologize for that delay and ask you for the patience. Rushed release isn't good for anyone.
We will announce a final, not estimate, release date during next month.
Deep Water Studio
qiaoyech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 08:56 PM   #11
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
No matter what a publisher/developer says about a release date, you must always read it as "when it's done"

Frankly, I'm always more worried when the release date stays too firm, because things rarely go according to plan - and vice versa, delays aren't necessarily a bad thing.

In fact, if Silent Hunter III wasn't delayed by nearly a year (in order to add a dynamic campaign), I'd bet most of us wouldn't even be here on Subsim today
THIS!

I am glad they seem to be waiting, in order to get the game right. And not rushing out a mediocre, throw-away fake simulator.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:55 AM   #12
harag
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

I'm really looking forward to uboot and really wish them all the best on it. I don't mind the date being pushed back as long as they use the time to make it better, and not bring out other things (board games) .

My main issue is other games at the same time that are coming out. e.g. I'm really looking forward to Shadow Of War in August.

Keep up the good work on UBoot guys!
harag is offline   Reply With Quote