SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-18, 02:03 PM   #16
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

By overflying all posts above, I think this has not been mentioned but it's important:

When you use SH3 Commander, you must be in port when removing/adding all sorts of mods, and before removing or adding them you must ROLL BACK SH3 Commander, else you may screw up your saves (causing CTDs) or have odd game reactions.

It is best to change settings in SH3C only everytime after you have saved game in port , with the exception of setting the 'Set nr. of days in port' which you can do after saving in open sea or outside the bunker and launching Commander to make these settings. For any other settings, be in port and if you want to be safe: set the 'Automatic Rollback'.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-16-18 at 02:19 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 06:57 PM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Yes, you should do a rollback every time, BUT...

SH3 Commander has a function called Auto-Rollback, which if active does it for you. The only time you ever need to not roll back is if you are creating a mod and need to test it often and quickly. Other than that I use Auto-Rollback and never have a problem.
Old 07-16-18, 07:34 PM   #18
Maphisto86
Seaman

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 0

I use the automatic rollback feature in SH3 Commander but could have activated mods while not in port. Sucks that my first campaign may well be lost but hopefully by only activating mods in port I can save my second campaign.
Maphisto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 08:00 PM   #19
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto86 View Post
I use the automatic rollback feature in SH3 Commander but could have activated mods while not in port. Sucks that my first campaign may well be lost but hopefully by only activating mods in port I can save my second campaign.

In your case, and if your sub is in open sea, try this if your save will CTD after some time when loading:

Quit game, launch SH3C and roll back then Quit SH3C.
Put the mods or remove mods in JSGME if needed.
Launch SH3 without SH3C, load the save and hope that it doesn't CTD immediately, save instantly. Quit game
Now launch the game with SH3C, don't change any settings until your next docking, load your new save and hope for the best

If this doesn't work, I'm afraid you must revert to your last bunker save losing all progress you did since then...
Old 07-16-18, 10:19 PM   #20
Maphisto86
Seaman

Hi XenonSurf.

I tried your suggestion but sadly it still crashes to desktop. I did reload my last bunker save and it worked so I am just glad my whole career is not gone. Thank you for all of your help though. I will be careful not to change mods around until both career boats are in port.
Old 07-20-18, 09:27 AM   #21
Maphisto86
Seaman

Default Depth Charged to Desktop

So I was playing a late war career and decided to alter history a bit and start a game in July 1944 with a Type XXI for the fun of it. Well, the game did not like that because on my first patrol I ran afoul of a destroyer while snorkelling near the surface to replenish battery power. I was forced to go deep (134 meters or so) and was depth charged and even survived a hit from the hedgehog launcher. A lone depth charge eventually hit me directly. The screen shook, lights flickered, and then everything froze, and after a few seconds, I saw my desktop.

I have been depth-charged to the desktop! Anyone else has that happen to them? Is this a common occurrence?

Last edited by Maphisto86; 07-20-18 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 02:07 PM   #22
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

If your sub has taken damage, it's best not to go with TC higher than x16 until at least flooding or the main damage is fixed. Going at higher TC could

- alert destroyers who wouldn't be alerted otherwise;
- screw up your game behavior and maybe even CTD (didn't happen to me, but I have read similar problems).