SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-08, 03:34 PM   #16
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Update: I found out the reason why I can't open these OBJ files is apparently because I don't have a plugin to open these files (I have Version 3 of 3DS). I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me without with this.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 03:50 PM   #17
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

3d Studio MAX 3? That's before it was even under Discreet wasn't it?

Either get a newer version of Max, Or get another program (Dunno if Gmax can import them, try Wings 3D or Blender)
Old 05-08-08, 12:06 AM   #18
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

I've come to discover that 3DSM is the worst piece of crap program out there. Useless under Vista and even worse with x64.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 02:10 AM   #19
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaptrap
I've come to discover that 3DSM is the worst piece of crap program out there. Useless under Vista and even worse with x64.
There's your problem. 3DS Max is a very good program and is used by many developers these days.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 03:05 AM   #20
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaptrap
There's your problem. 3DS Max is a very good program and is used by many developers these days.
They're probably still running XP or Leopard. Thankfully I found something better for texturizing models.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 05:27 PM   #21
HELLISH1
Gunner

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaptrap View Post
They're probably still running XP or Leopard. Thankfully I found something better for texturizing models.
3ds max 2010 works great with sd3, on all platforms as long as you have the sp1 and the hot fix that followed. Only one hotfix after sp1, easy to find
HELLISH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 05:28 PM   #22
HELLISH1
Gunner

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
Update: I found out the reason why I can't open these OBJ files is apparently because I don't have a plugin to open these files (I have Version 3 of 3DS). I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me without with this.
FBX plug-in fixes that problem
HELLISH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 02:45 AM   #23
von faust
Soundman

Downloads: 430

A .dat file "contains" many 3D models.
It's possible to export multiple 3D model in one step and not individually one by one ?
von faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 05:47 AM   #24
jjones100
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3

Guys I have tried out exporting an existing 3d model of the Richelieu battleship in order to try out a few things such as making a super-Richelieu ship with double the size of the original ship model's hull. I used the 3d modeling software called Softimage XSI and it imports existing 3d models with relative ease as well as allowing for the quick rescaling etc of the imported 3d model. When I saved the newly uniformed scaled model and reimported it back into the 3deditor software, it worked perfectly when I tested out from the software's render viewport window. However what I would like to ask guys who have more experience about such 3d modeling/texturing work is what can be done to prevent the original texture from coming out stretched/squashed in various places on the rendered 3d model if I just try and perform a non-uniform scale of the model along one coordinate axis instead of a full uniformed scaled along all 3 axes when say I want to just lengthen the existing hull of a ship instead of performing a full whole uniformed scale.
jjones100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 08:13 AM   #25
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones100 View Post
Guys I have tried out exporting an existing 3d model of the Richelieu battleship in order to try out a few things such as making a super-Richelieu ship with double the size of the original ship model's hull. I used the 3d modeling software called Softimage XSI and it imports existing 3d models with relative ease as well as allowing for the quick rescaling etc of the imported 3d model. When I saved the newly uniformed scaled model and reimported it back into the 3deditor software, it worked perfectly when I tested out from the software's render viewport window. However what I would like to ask guys who have more experience about such 3d modeling/texturing work is what can be done to prevent the original texture from coming out stretched/squashed in various places on the rendered 3d model if I just try and perform a non-uniform scale of the model along one coordinate axis instead of a full uniformed scaled along all 3 axes when say I want to just lengthen the existing hull of a ship instead of performing a full whole uniformed scale.
You will probably have to re-UV map the 3d object to prevent these distortions. This can be difficult because large, complex models can sometimes crash your 3d modeling program. For wings3d, which I use, you right click the faces that you want retextured and select "UV Mapping" from the tab that appears. A 2d arrangement of the UV map will then pop up, and you can adjust it to your satisfaction. Wings3d lets you apply the texture to the model as it's rendered so that you can see what it will look like ingame - most other programs probably have this feature, too.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 12:49 PM   #26
ZigmundFreund
Watch

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLISH1 View Post
3ds max 2010 works great with sd3, on all platforms as long as you have the sp1 and the hot fix that followed. Only one hotfix after sp1, easy to find
When you write 3ds max 2010 what is the exact version you are talking aboot? ver. 9 'ish?

- Some help finding big battles using RSRDC: Combined Fleet and Pacific War Animated
ZigmundFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 06:33 PM   #27
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

3Ds Max 2008 is version 10 so version 12 would be 2010.
Unless AutoDesk decided to change things again.
Just following the proper 'Nameing' is a test in and of itself.
Some versions you Capitalize one thing,
then latter versions you capitalize others.
Old 12-13-10, 08:55 PM   #28
Yamato_NF
King of the Ocean

Downloads: 621
ProEngineer: is is compatable?

hi...
ive been wondering reading all of this.
is it possible to use proEngineer to model SH4 ships?
it is a very powerful Parametric Design tool, and i use it for School,
i would like to use it for SH4 models
Reguards,
Yamato_NF

"He who controls the seas controls the world."
Yamato_NF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 12:21 PM   #29
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

good tutorial this, thanks.
Old 11-16-11, 07:39 AM   #30
Kpt_Kipp
Watch

Downloads: 92

S!

when I'm going to export a ship I realized that ALL is not selected so pls How I have to select ALL?
and where turret guns are?
can you help pls?

regards

Last edited by Kpt_Kipp; 11-16-11 at 04:28 PM.
Kpt_Kipp is offline   Reply With Quote