SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-13, 12:04 AM   #1
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19
Default Internal instruments stuck after resupply?

This is an odd one, the HUD gauges at the lower right always work correctly, but during campaign patrols I've noticed in both the control room and conning tower;

1. Sonar stuck on 000, pointer can't be moved.
2. Telegraph on all stop regardless of actual setting, HUD telegraph responds normally.
3. Depth gauges indicate 90 feet regardless of actual depth, HUD depth gauge responds normally.
4. Pitometer shows 12 1/2 knots regardless of actual speed, HUD pitometer shows actual speed.

By reloading saved games I think I've traced it to a resupply as the trigger for the bug, the only cure is ending the patrol and starting another one. Anyone else ever get these "frozen" internal view gauges with the Sargo class in campaign?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 01:30 AM   #2
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

I've never heard of this happening. Kind of an odd problem. How many mods are you running?
Old 02-18-13, 01:54 AM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Stock 1.4 with my own resupply mod and a few experiments. I haven't fooled around with any of the internal gauges or textures.

Note the depth gauge says 90 feet, lower right corner shows 16 feet and the HUD gauge agrees.

Helm station in the conning tower, same problem with the depth gauge, the compass says north regardless of actual heading, pitometer says 12 1/2 knots regardless of actual speed, telegraph says stop. Again also affects the indicators on the bridge and the sonar dial. It's almost like whatever subroutine sends data to the internal instrumentation is not working and everything is defaulting to whatever it uses for a zero reference point.

Again happens at random times, going into port to end the patrol and start a new one fixes it. After taking those shots I went into Java to end the 3rd patrol and started the 4th one, headed straight for Malucca Sea to refit, didn't happen, then headed for Luzon Straits and refit there and checked again, didn't happen that time either.
Old 02-18-13, 02:13 AM   #4
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Stock 1.4 with my own resupply mod and a few experiments. I haven't fooled around with any of the internal gauges or textures.

Note the depth gauge says 90 feet, lower right corner shows 16 feet and the HUD gauge agrees.

Helm station in the conning tower, same problem with the depth gauge, the compass says north regardless of actual heading, pitometer says 12 1/2 knots regardless of actual speed, telegraph says stop. Again also affects the indicators on the bridge and the sonar dial. It's almost like whatever subroutine sends data to the internal instrumentation is not working and everything is defaulting to whatever it uses for a zero reference point.

Again happens at random times, going into port to end the patrol and start a new one fixes it. After taking those shots I went into Java to end the 3rd patrol and started the 4th one, headed straight for Malucca Sea to refit, didn't happen, then headed for Luzon Straits and refit there and checked again, didn't happen that time either.
Well, that is strange...

One of the modders or at least someone with an understanding of how this problem can be solved is who needs to be notified. Not me. I don't know how to make mods...

I just know that JSGME installs them. Also, you are using V1.4 and most mods are made for the V1.5 version of the game
Old 02-18-13, 02:36 AM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Only mods in that copy are my own, and since they were made in 1.4 the 1.5 compatibility problem wouldn't apply. My guess is that all the internal gauges are in something like the CAM files, and I haven't touched those. If it was a problem with one of the UPC or CFG files I modded you would think that I could duplicate it every time, but this is random.
Old 02-18-13, 07:37 AM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Since you have cooked your own mods, you might want to post a copy of this in the Fleet Boat Mods Workshop forum. More likely to catch the eye of other modders there.

From your post, I get the impression that the problem occurs pretty frequently. Have you tried removing all your mods and plugging in one at a time, to find the culprit?

One of the most painful lessons every software developer has experienced (and modding IS software development) begins with the words: "But I didn't change any code that could possibly affect THAT!" The .cfg files have a lot to do with the function of gauges. The TDC, for example, is activated through the dials.cfg file.

BTW: Just a niggle, but all software is purely deterministic. There is no such thing as a random software event. You may never identify the exact conditions required to create the event, but, if you do, it will reproduce every time.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 08:07 AM   #7
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

I would say you created your own MOD soup.......like walleye said repost in MOD forum.

The only other thing too suggest is too remove MOD's and start over again.
Old 02-18-13, 12:29 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Well, I figured I would check here first, see if anyone has seen it before. I never actually played a full campaign with the stock game, first mod I installed was Webster's GFO, but the original version of that is no longer around and the GFO 1.1 isn't compatible with patch 1.4 AFAIK. Last night's testing was weird, I started from Java and saved, went to the first resupply base, checked internal gauges, save #2, cruise into base and refit, save #3 and check again, on to the second resupply base and save before and after, all the way up to save #7 for that patrol I checked each time and had everything working. Reloaded this morning, now save #2 through #7 all have the glitch. I should mention I'm running Win XP, so if something is altering data in the save games it's not a vista/win7 UAC thing. Looking over the whole problem including sonar, the common denominator is every dial or gauge has the pointer or needle in the straight up position, so it's something where it's just not getting the input from whatever sends the values to the internal instruments. So why would entering the home port to end the patrol and starting a new one reset that so it all works again?
Old 02-23-13, 12:00 PM   #9
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

I've had this happen after sailing through the Panama Canal then North to New London.

Make a save halfway up the coast, reload, and the interior dials & gauges are frozen. The sub still moves etc.

Now if I reach New London and Save I don't think this happens. Of course it is a self-modded game.

I think I asked about what causes this and never received a reply - can't remember.

Another documented case of frozen indicator needles.

You figure anything out yet?

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote