SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
|06-30-2009, 07:46 PM||#1|
Ace of the Deep
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest United States
TeamSpeak is a voice-chat utility made for gaming and gamers. It's popular with many online gaming groups for it's ease of use and minimal need of your computer's resources, leaving more horsepower to run your game.
All you need is a microphone or a headset/mic combo and you can actually talk to your friends as you play Silent Hunter instead of chatting by using text in the game. This leaves you free to have fun and concentrate on sailing and fighting with your sub!
The following tutorial is intended to help you with getting, installing, and setting up TeamSpeak for use with any gaming group.
TeamSpeak's downloads page:
TeamSpeak - Downloads
Click that link above and you're ready to download the client. There are two items to download, TeamSpeak 2 Client and TeamSpeak 2 Client(updated executable). Make sure you remember where on your computer that you save these files when downloading!
1. After you have downloaded the client and update, run the ts2_client_rc2_2032.exe file to install TeamSpeak 2.
2. Once that is done, you will need to apply the update, TeamSpeak.exe. To do this, simply right-click on the file, choose Copy, then go to the folder where TeamSpeak 2 was installed on your computer. Typically this is going to be C:\Program Files\Teamspeak2_RC2.
3. After you have found the Teamspeak2_RC2 folder, right-click on it and select Paste. You will receive a warning from Windows, something like "This file already exists! Are you sure you want to overwrite it?". Click Yes because this TeamSpeak.exe is meant to replace the old one.
4. When you start TeamSpeak 2, look for the Help menu at the top right. Click on it and choose About. The box that pops up should list your TeamSpeak2 version as 126.96.36.199 after you've applied the update.
Setting Up TeamSpeak2
Now you're ready to hook up your microphone and start TeamSpeak. To log in to a group's TeamSpeak server, you will need to set up the details.
1. If the Connect To Server window is not already open, do so by clicking the Connection menu in the upper left-hand corner and selecting Connect.
2. Click the tab labeled Local Addressbook. This is where you store details for specific TS servers you connect to, similar to the way you store friend's details in your e-mail's address book.
3. In the left side of the Connect To Server window, you will see Servers. Right-click anywhere in this area and choose Add Server.
4. You will see an entry below Servers labeled New Server and highlighted in blue. For the server name type in whatever name you like so long as it is something that helps you easily remember the group you're joining, such as Grey Wolves, and it will replace the New Server entry. If you've made a mistake, you can always change the server name by typing it in to the box on the right hand side, titled Label.
5. Now you'll turn your attention to the right-hand side of the Connect To Server window. There you'll notice a column of boxes. The top most being Label, where you can also enter the server's name as covered in Step 4.
6. The next box down is labeled Server Address. Here you will enter the server address, such as gamehost.greywolves.com:8785. The four numbers after the colon is the server port that your TeamSpeak client connects to. Be careful to make sure you have those port numbers correct! Not all groups' TeamSpeak servers use the default port of 8785.
7. Below this is the box labeled Nickname. This is where you will type in the nickname you wish to use to be identified on the TeamSpeak server. It's recommended to use your Ubi.com User ID to avoid confusion and accidentally getting kicked from a game; for example, being logged in to TeamSpeak as "JoeSomebody" but signing on in SH3 multiplayer with "JohnSmith".
8. Make sure the box labeled Allow server to assign a nickname is unchecked.
9. Anonymous should be ticked, not Registered, at this time. This will allow you to log in as an unregistered player.
10. The rest will remain blank until your registration on the group's TeamSpeak server is completed, if required. They'll give you the details on what you should fill in.
11. Click the Connect button at the bottom and your TeamSpeak 2 client will then connect to the server.
You're now ready to chat, make new friends, and have a good time playing Silent Hunter online!
Remember, those players who have (SA) after their names are the Server Administrators, (CA) are Channel Administrators, (R) denotes Registered players, and (U) is used for Unregistered, or anonymous, players.
Have fun and good hunting!
Still sailing the high seas, hunting convoys with those who join me.
|04-20-2010, 11:45 AM||#2|
Chief of the Boat
Stop following me...I'm lost!!
GWX3.0 Download Page http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php?r=nkjkl#j35rkcr24g8d2
GWX Website/Home Page
Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim) http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/gwx_donation1207.php