View Single Post
Old 03-16-17, 06:03 AM   #4250
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
For those that are encountering the sound that's being heard when nearing Truk Island area, check your Hull Damage reading before and after the sound occurs.

I took a trip to see for myself Beginning Year, 1943. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until I was within the atoll area (the light colored ocean surrounding the Truk Island group). At Radar Depth (subs keel about 40 ft deep) the depth under my keel was around 24-27 ft....that's about 65 ft deep in most places, sometimes more, sometimes less. Seas were moderate to mild. I noticed when I heard the "sound", I checked my Damage Management screen and noticed a higher amount of Hull Damage had occurred from the digital readout. I'm suspecting the sound is coming from damage that's occurring to the sub due to the shallow water in the Truk area.

One way to find out is to run your sub aground to see if it sounds the same. I didn't get to check this because I was soon killed when I surfaced at night and the gun battery on one of the islands somehow spotted me and sunk me before I could do anything about it. Going to be getting around to those eagle eyed land lubbers soon!
btw Capn, I've "tweaked" the Batteries file also, and turned down some of the guns from "Veteran" to "Competent", and even a few "Novice" peppered about, though none of those near any of the "established" Japanese base locations from their WWI "winnings".

I have reproduced The "New" Sound rather reliably by opening the mission I made that is East of the 152°10' line (you have to zoom in a bit on the Chart to see it). I then drive West toward Truk (I'm about mid-way between the parallels), get beyond the line, and again, like in the original "The Sound!", you have to use TC, which I have not figured out the level yet, but it's gotta be above 2x, and I'm thinking it's 32x might be the one. Anyway, once you get West of the line, a change in the boat's elevation does it, if you're above periscope level. I'm looking into the "Dive! Dive! Dive!" sound sequence, and there is a "glitch" in the file as it quits, that I'm trying to cut completely off of the end of the file, and not introduce more glitching... I do not know that I have the correct sound, but that's about the last thing, other than the "ambiance" sounds, that plays before The "New" Sound goes off... Forthcoming experiment...

Edit 0735 Local: OK, I do NOT want to "color" anyone's perception, but if you all would play the "Collision_AntiSubmarineNet_int.wav" file ("Data / Sound" folder), and see if you think that's the "source"??? I can't figure the trigger, but it sure sounds awful familiar... Don't ask me how I found it... - Let's just say, that you are a really easy target for the shore batteries if you're stationary and close to the surface, and your deck is kind of sideways leaning...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-16-17 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Collision_AntiSubmarineNet_int
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote