View Single Post
Old 12-27-11, 05:59 PM   #38
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike88 View Post
1. Is the inside of the tank(s) clickable, or is it all keyboard shortcuts?
Some buttons are clickable but majority of things is done via shortcurts and mouse because that's the only viable solution to fight in all tanksims. You can attach joystick if you wish.

Quote:
2. How obtrusive is the little dongle required?
Very obtrusive! Think about parallel port dongles - where are they today? You will be able to play this game until computers with USB ports will be in stores. If you have more software with such form of copy protection (fortunately which is unlikely), you can be in trouble in the future due to lack of USB ports available or mess with many dongles. Additionally dongle may constitute large portion of SBPro PE final price.

Quote:
3. Is there start up sequences for the tank(s)? Or are they always on?
Basically - Engine On/Off. Driving simulation is very basic or even non-existent. No engine start procedures or whatsoever. Playing as a commander or gunner you can drive tank using WSAD-like keymapping exactly as on driver's position. Driver's view is also very obscure and identical in all crewable vehicles. I think games like SFK42 and TvT have more driver's functionality implemented.

Quote:
4. Are all the functions of the tanks modeled?
All functions? Nope, buddy. SBPro is basically a PC tank shooter training software selling as an off-shot of its military version for civilian market. Thus you have fire control system and observation devices implemented on gunner's and commander's positions. That is almost all. Don't expect something like Ka-50 and A-10C cockpit functionality found in DCS series.

Quote:
5. Are there random failures?
Something like that is present but I don't think it is very important here.

Besides be careful about several facts about SBPro PE:

- its graphic engine is very dated so it looks nowhere near to present PC games. No shadows, maybe still some sprites, no suspension effects in moving tanks, I am not sure about weather effects. So don't be surprised.

- there is no campaign, career mode or similar single-player features. You have only independent single missions to play and mission editor to make your own scenarios. AFAIK map editor is not fully functional in civilian version.

- there is multi-player over LAN and on the Internet (you have to know host IP address)

- vast majority of playable vehicles do not possess interior graphics. Therefore you can only operate them seeing via various sights, visors and in unbuttoned commander's position.

- I personally strongly doubt SBPro PE as a product for civilian market realistically replicates capabilities and performance of most modern military stuff present in this sim (Leo-2A5, M1A2 etc.) like ammunition power, armor protection, thermal sights range viewing through different obstacles, because they are top secret data after all.

- the game alone costs 125 bucks (boxed version with printed manual). However remember next there are also payware upgrades costing 20-30 bucks apiece. I don't know how many of them was released in the past five years but you should calculate this too before purchasing SBPro PE.

Last edited by Gorshkov; 12-27-11 at 06:20 PM.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote