View Single Post
Old 01-13-17, 07:14 AM   #385
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
On the picture with 3 funnels, pre-war mast and gun spaces she sports overall dark grey, likely "home fleet grey" (507A), and flies the White Ensign. That means at the time the picture was tanken, she was an AMC. The use of 507A as an overall colour coat is limited to the very early phase of the war.
I noticed the White Ensign and the overall dark gray paint too, but anything else is in asin the liner version. That picture dates probably to sometime between the requisition of the ship by the Admiralty, and the completion of her conversion to an AMC

Quote:
I think, the pictures with 2 funnels and civil colours have been taken after the war (see also the civil passengers). Troopship in the late war never sported civil colours but were usually painted all grey (often the so-called Merchant Ship Side (Dark or Light) Grey). Just search for pictures of QM and QE. Also, troopship had only very few boat but a huge number of floats.
Again, you are right. I was wondering the same as you about the paint scheme, too colorful for a troop transport, but I didn't notice the civil passengers. Sadly there are not pictures of neither Queen of Bermuda nor Monarch of Bermuda in their troopship version, but it is likely the pictures I have linked in my previous post were taken shortly after the war, before the reconverion to liner was completed (note the kingposts, and the third funnel stack missing).
By the way, this is a picture of QOB after war, for reference:

The website that it comes from, captions it as "The RMS Queen of Bermuda docked in Hamilton, Bermuda – 1950s"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Fantastic work!!
Quote:
P.S.: Jeff is absolutely right
gap is offline   Reply With Quote