View Single Post
Old 11-02-07, 03:16 PM   #18
To be
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

I have not read all of Molon's comment, so I apologize if I reiterate something he has said. I also believe that removing the CZ from this mission is a big mistake. Here is why:

The CZ allows red submarines a real chance to detect the 688 themselves, something that is very unlikely in SD. I would even go so far as to say detection of the 688 by the red side at all is unlikely. It also provides red with an small advantage (since they can run slower then the 688 can), to counter the fact that even if the 688 is successfully intercepted, it could still get through. This will help give the mission about a 50-50 chance of victory of each side, reducing it to a battle of skill. The CZ means that the 688 will have to work to get through, but that the Akulas must also work to intercept it, which is something we certainly want.

I have shown above why I believe the CZ is beneficial, but now I am going to go into why the CZ 'bug' is not so big an issue. Range is not the end solution of TMA, in order to get a solution to fire, or to intercept, you need 4 pieces of information about the target: Bearing, Course, Speed. and Range. While the CZ gives you bearing and range, it only lasts a very short amount of time, meaning you can't figure out course or speed. By the time you close that 30nm and regain contact, the 688 has moved considerably, and the data point you obtained earlier is useless, you will need to do a standard TMA solution.

Basically, I think that the CZ gives a huge benefit to the map, and this issue will only cause minor, if any, balance issues.

Last edited by To be; 11-02-07 at 03:31 PM.
To be is offline   Reply With Quote