View Single Post
Old 02-20-13, 12:45 PM   #35
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
The togglier was responsible for arming and dropping the bombs in lieu of a bombardier. As the war progressed, the bombing formations would drop when the lead aircraft dropped, and the need for skilled bombardiers decreased. Dropping bombs involved flipping (or toggling) the switch(es) that result in activating the bomb release mechanisms. This is the origin of the title "togglier", a combination of toggle and bombardier. The lead aircraft crew would include a skilled "group" bombardier, and many of the other crews would utilize toggliers...
http://www.401stforum.com/forumhome/....php?f=1&t=947

Quote:
I can only speak for my crew in the Mediteranean....99 BG (B17G). The armorer on my crew was the left waist gunner...and he was selected to function as the togglier. As to training....it was a simple matter of a checkout on the bomb bay door switches and bomb release intervalometer. If a crew flew without the Bombardier, the armorer funtioned as the togglier. Shortly before reaching the target, the Navigator notified the armoroer/togglier to come forward to the Bombardier's position and work the bomb release controls. After "Bombs Away", he returned to the left waist gunner position. When a crew was selected for the lead, a Bombardier (usualy the Squadron Lead Bombardier who was the most expert) flew and the otherwise togglier stayed in his left waist position. There was a change in tactics which was felt to be more accurate in having one Bombardier to drop from the lead ship and the rest of the formation to open the bomb bay doors when the lead ship opened its bomb bay doors and drop when the lead ship dropped. This meant that the other 5 a/c in the formation had toggiliers.
http://forum.armyairforces.com/Bomba...ier-m7336.aspx

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote