View Single Post
Old 09-14-10, 10:33 AM   #5621
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed
I(which is weird as it was just a hobby and something to help us all out)
When one person does it, it's just a hobby, which is why many of them are still doing it.

When a team is organized, it becomes...well, an organization, with all the dynamics that entails. Someone has to be in charge, which means he has all the headaches that go with management. The people who were doing what they wanted for fun are now assigned to do certain jobs they may not like so much. Somebody has to test it, which doesn't mean playing the game for fun, but playing the same scenario over, and over, and over. And when it doesn't work properly the manager has to tell the person who made that part, and he has to drop whatever he's doing now so he can go back and try to make it right. Once he's satisfied he has to send it back to the testers, who have to play it over, and over, and over again. And if it's right this time it then has to be sent to the guy who will combine it with other mods so he can send it back to the testers to make sure they work together.

In short, what was a hobby is now a job. A job involving long hours of overtime for exactly no pay. The only reward is the high praise of the people it was done for, and the risk is that you will spend the next several years fielding the complaints of people who found mistakes the testers missed, or just complaints from people who wish you had done it differently.

SH4 already has a great supermod start in OM. What it needs now isn't GWX. What it needs now is all the great SH3 mods that have come out since GWX, including the best of LSH3 and WAC. But the people who are still modding SH3 aren't interested in SH4. Too bad from my point of view, but it's their business, not mine.

If you really want SH4 to improve, start learning.