View Single Post
Old 09-08-09, 04:38 PM   #67
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller View Post
Further update - the dummy turret idea is not working - for some reason the AI can't handle the targetting - the dummy turret itself will rotate to the expected angle to the target - if you vary the shell speed it leads the target more or less relative to shell speed (leads more with slower speeds and points straight ontarget withfaster speeds). The trouble is the poxy AI can NOT correclty aim the turret mounted on the dummy turret - it tries to apply the correct rotation degrees - but the wrong direction - so if the dummy roatets 15 degrees to port to track the target, the mounted turret track 15 degrees to starbord. I hate this game engine

SO I am back to trying two approcahes;

1) enable a spread to be launched - best approach is to tilt the launches on the sub / destroyer - am currently running tilt angles in S3d of -1.57 -0.9 -0.5 0.5 0.9 and 1.57 acroos six launchers onthe front of the sub. Gives a nice spread but many torps wasted. The best shell speed for the above seems to be 200 m/s.

2) Try and force the torp to actually move if we reduce the shell speed to a more realistic 20 m/s and get the AI to aim the turret correctly for the actual torp speed. This is proving the barrel points straight up at low shell speeds regardless of what I put in for range / angle in the .sim. Have tried modifying speed, speed direction and also inherited interia in the particle generator - no joy. Wondered if the global parms would affect it - tried global speed scale - nothing ... this si not looking promising. Help !
send your files over to me, and I'll take a look at them. I've got a good understanding of what actually happens if they are fired (since I made them) so maybe I can solve it. And to be honest I think your idea might (should) work.

(yum... I like tweaking dat files... even better than pizza!)

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote