View Single Post
Old 03-26-12, 02:50 AM   #1
VonApist
Navy Dude

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Just got my new Type II D - awesome!

I have been playing the game for some years , always choosing Wilhelmshaven as a base for convenience purposes (closer to the action). I would usually choose between a VIIB and a IX boat. In my first years I would upgrade to an IX as soon as I had the chance to, as more torpedoes and fuel appealed to me.

My problem with the IX was the fact that I was getting very high tonnage and at some point it seemed more "arcade" like than actually "realistic". Mind you, in all my games (SH3+ GWX+Commander) I play a minimum of 85% realism.

In the latter years I preferred to stick with the VIIB until the VIIC was available, as i cherished its manoeverability and "all weather" attributes. And probabilities of survival from 1942-43 onwards.

So last month I decided to go to try an all Type-II carreer and see how far in the war I can make it.

Tonnages slipped to more realistic numbers (which is VERY fine with me). I have completed 8 patrols for 90,000 tons which is "lower" than any 8 patrols with VIIB and IX boats - but it feels SO much better.

The Type -II carries only 5 (as u all know) which makes target selection, approach and attack much more demanding. No fishes to spare (hence I always use T-I's on impact trying for a 90 degree shot and so far I only had 2 duds).
My first boat (IIA) was tested and its maximum depth was 170m before taking any damage. Given its small size, 160-165 meters of depth is adequate for evation purposes.

In my last patrol, a Type II-D was made available, and im at my first patrol with it.

It looks great (conning tower is awesome) and Im gonna stick into it as long as possible.

Even the issue of keeping the right depth (a bit tricky with the IIA) is much better now. Altough to dive deeper than 140m you have to move with at least 3 knots (which makes silent running tough) i still love it.

I was very fond of VII's but it seems that the Type II-D has just stolen my heart

Anyone else with the same feelings?
"Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov
VonApist is offline   Reply With Quote