View Single Post
Old 11-17-16, 01:09 PM   #7
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I can see your point as well. I can understand it takes money to maintain these vessels. Still,With the Torsk In Baltimore, the Balao-class submarine, the USS Pampanito in San Francisco and many others, they are a piece of history that other generations can learn from. The Pampanito earned six battle stars for World War II service as well. It is not like the vessels don't have a value beyond what they are worth as scrap metal.

With the pacific fleet in tatters after Dec 7 of 1941, These Submarines and more importantly, the men who crewed them, carried on the fight while the Pacific fleet was being rebuilt. Like many, I feel they are a legacy one can't put a dollar value on and thus should be maintained.

The U.K dealt with similar issues I believe.
The Torsk in Baltimore is loathed by the Baltimore Aquarium(and others) but the sub draws many to the harbor that generates revenue for the city. The entire harbor is a cash cow for the city and they know it. So, the Torsk gets a few dollars here and there. The Constellation gets the lions share of dollars for upkeep.