View Single Post
Old 04-14-11, 12:27 AM   #4
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Hmmm let's see...

I love the look of the Konigstiger simply because it's such a bad arse looking tank with that turret.

For armament I'd have to say make a KwK version of the 128mm FlaK 40 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12.8_cm_FlaK_40)
For pure bad assery go with the Zwilling Mount (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:12...lling_40_1.jpg)

The reason I chose the 128mm FlaK over the 88mm KwK L/71 is simply because based on how much charge they put into the AA version, they could probably substantially improve armour penetration by having higher volumes of propellant, or a better caliber (71 callbers perhaps?)

I would say move the drive axles to the rear a la t-34 to improve handling. Also, I would have to say if strategic bombing hadn't come into play, as well as trying to rush the design into production, the Konigstiger would've been a beast with proper quality control.

Thus, for my tank, I would have to say the designers would have to get a decent power plant to get her running that is at least half reliable (perhaps an aircraft engine like the M1?).

Anyways,

Hull/Crew/Turret Layoud: Koenigstiger (5 crew, Henschel Turret, etc)
Est. Weight: 78Tonnes.
Armament: 128mm KwK L/71
Engine: Daimler-Benz 605 A-1 Liquid cooled V12: 1,455 hp (compared to KT's 650...) Est. HP/Ton ratio: 18.65
Armor: Not a damn clue. Perhaps add an extra 30mm on specs of KT.
Transmission: Torsion bar

Reasoning behind me picking these specs is that in my opinion, if the Germans would have spent enough time designing and perfecting their Panthers and King Tigers such as they did with the Panzer II, III, IV, etc I think it would have been an incredibly useful and effective tank.

Armament is upgunned (past the 105mm the Germans wanted to put on the KT) due to the 128mm FlaK 40 being the next step of evolution in the German Flak cannons that could be used as anti-tank weapons (in my opinion). The massive shell size (compared to earlier designs), large caliber and 4x (thats right FOUR TIMES) the amount of force propelling the shell downrange leads me to believe that this thing could take on any conceivable tank for a few years to come.

The Engine specs and transmission (well actually I don't know of any other Transmissions save for the Christie design, but I thought that was un-reliable?) was based on modern tanks (M1) using aircraft engines as powerplants. Always hearing how the Tiger II had good mobility (for a tank of that size) but lacked engine power lead me to choose this power plants with more than double the amount of horse power being able to run this tank, even with the added weight of the 128mm armament and added protection.

Anyways, I'm just a history noob that knows barely anything about tanks, but thats what I would pick .

Cheers!

Krauter