View Single Post
Old 06-23-17, 01:49 AM   #5
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post
Hiya skippers, I have a huge problem. I try the training errand dubbed "Silent Service" and my objective is to race past two angry Spruance in full speed utilising the thermal. I do just that. The big problem is that the finish line is 50 nautical south of starting position, so I am actually 90 nautical south of that, and here I am, poor in performance.

Pointers?

Err. thanks in advance.
Ooo LOVELY! I've been waiting 20 years to pass this tip on; to be honest I thought everyone knew and used it.
The advice and info already given is accurate and excellent; the point of the mission is to train and practice in the tense, calculating world of underwater warfare. There is, however, another way to do it and this is also a useful skill: CHEAT!

Don't worry; I don't mean exploit a bug or anything, I mean go James Kirk on your testing officers and leave them scratching their heads wondering where the heck 6000 tons of sub went.

As an old Recce man I don't like going in the front door; I look for other ways and as it happens, there is a narrow channel which you can use to confound the Spruances. They can't find you if you're not there to find...so don't go past them; go around them.

It works like this: the scenario is designed with shallow water to the East and VERY shallow water to the west. This is supposed to funnel you into the desirable deeper water and thus straight at the destroyers. But that very shallow water to the west contains a narrow trench that can be navigated to reach the finish line undetected and under time.

Upon starting the mission don't extend anything - no antennae, no sensors. Leave the towed stowed. Keep the hull clean as possible; you won't need anything and it wouldn't help anyway. This is a speed run - you'll be flying blind.

Set your depth to 56 feet; so that the top of the tower is just under water. Turn to heading 240 and set speed to flank - it will remain there for the entire mission. You'll cavitate like crazy but don't worry; you're far too far away for the Spruances to pick you up.

As you approach it, look at the shallow feature to the southwest: the lightest blue part shaped like the sole of a shoe. It's too big to go around in time and too shallow to navigate while submerged...except for one small channel. That channel lies about halfway along the feature right at the narrowest point. As you look at it you will see a point where the northern and southern edges are very close together - that is your target. Roar down to that point, and sail through it on a heading of 160. Monitor your depth closely; you'll be almost scraping the bottom all the way through. The gap is narrow so you'll need to watch closely to avoid running aground.

Once through the shallowest part, turn to 120 and inch downward as the sea floor begins to lower. Once past the next-lightest layer turn to 90 and continue following the sea floor downward until you reach a comfy non-cavitating depth of 400ft. Congratulations! You've just passed with flying colours; the Spruance Captains want to shake your hand and compliment you on your stealth as you crept past them, heh heh heh.

Give it a shot - there aren't many places in the game where you get to drop the hammer, put the pedal to the metal and burn neutrons so this is a ton of fun.

Last edited by Captain Hammered; 06-23-17 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Speling mistayks
Captain Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote