View Single Post
Old 03-10-08, 12:40 PM   #21
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
...you will need a 250 Volt Direct Current rectifier to energize the appropriate switch boards.
X15, Chapter 4 is for the switch boards in the maneuvering room. According to the I.C. / Alarms Chapter, high voltage alternating current was supplied to A/C Bus #1 from the main generators or to A/C Bus #2 from the back-up generator. Both A/C busses are located in the I.C. Switch Board, which is located in the control room (con). The I.C. switch board then converts the power to 120 VAC 60Hz and also I think 45Hz, depending on the application. From what I have read, the 1MC needs 120 VAC/60 Hz to operate. Same with the radio gear in the radio shack. Lights, alarms, engine telegraphs and many other con room equipment ran on 120 VAC and were powered through the I.C. switch board.

A long time ago, the museum decided to disconnect the lighting from the I.C. panel and wire it directly to shore power. Very little conversion was required, since it used the same voltage and current as house power. Some day we might switch it back to the way it was.

You are correct that other parts of the boat use oddball voltages and current and if we ever decide to get the ice cream maker going, for example, then we'll have to rig up some electronics to convert the power for those applications. I'm assuming that the hydraulic pump located under the control room (pump room) also uses the 120 VAC from the I.C. board, since it's an 18hp motor, but it could be directly taking its power from the maneuvering room. I haven't studied the hydraulic system enough to figure that out.

I'll ask the museum if any of the original hydraulic fluid is still in the system. They said that they used pressure from fire hoses to get the periscopes up to their present position. That tells me that some or all of the system was bled before pumping water into the lines.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote