View Single Post
Old 03-04-08, 12:45 AM   #18
X15
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sarsfield
There are a few lights in the pump room that adequately light it, but it does need a few more bulbs. You have to turn the lights on once you get down there. There's a switch panel near the ladder.

I haven't been in the motor room, yet. Rick has been down there lots of times. The motor room is useless to us as far as getting the hydraulics and electronics running in the control room/conning tower. The hydraulic pump and motor are located under the control room and the power more than likely comes from one of the switch panels above... or we can rig it up to do so.

The maneuvering room and motor room are tied into the diesel engines and batteries (which no longer exist). It's basically an electrical sub station that determined if power came from the generators or batteries and what motors to send it to, as well as other shipboard equipment. The control room has two A/C busses that we can tap directly into from the museum, essentially bypassing the maneuvering room altogether. We might have to disconnect the lines going between the maneuvering room and control room, so that we don't back-feed a generator and cause a fire.

Does Batfish have a rectifier? The Hydraulic system motor, and everything else (EXCEPT the lighting, interior communications, radio, radar and sonar systems), runs on 145 to 345 volts DC. Attempting to run any of those systems on 120 volt AC will result in at best chattering contactors, and quite possibly serious equipment damage and or fire.

I would suggest looking at raising the scopes with a hand pump connected directly to the hydraulic cylinders themselves. If you only intend to raise them once, I would avoid the extra work on getting the rest of the system operational.
X15 is offline   Reply With Quote