View Single Post
Old 03-17-11, 10:15 AM   #14
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
In this case, it seems to me that this is cheating! This greatly simplifies life so easy and it was not for the German submariners. Does hydrophones that time could give such accurate results? Personally, I doubt it! The most that can hydrophone - so this issue bearing on the target and determine zoom in touch. And it is largely dependent on the acoustics. Only at the end of the war became possible attacks without the use of the periscope, which focused exclusively on the hydrophone.
The hydrophone can give fairly accurate bearing measurements. You turn the dial until the sound is the loudest and that would be the bearing to the target. I don't see that as cheating. Now what would be considered cheating is the sonarman giving you precise range to target on that bearing. The only way that could be accomplished is with active sonar (ping) but even that would be susceptible to some error (range). The only way you can currently get that range to target on that bearing is by asking the sonarman for it in my UIs mod.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote