View Single Post
Old 09-15-13, 08:22 AM   #3
Marcello
Planesman

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
Radar and radar warning receiver: I think I have these, but I'm not sure. I can't find any way to turn the radar on and off or raise the mast (if it requires raising).
I also cannot find out how to determine if my warning receiver is working, or where the display is. I'd rather not wait until my 1st contact to figure all this out!
With GWX you get the XXI in 1944 but the snorkel mounted RWR is not available until 1945 IIRC.The one on the conning tower is available earlier of course but cannot be used submerged. I would suggest staying away from hot areas until the snorkel receiver becomes available because even with the most prudent use of the snorkel the likelyhood of getting bounced by ASW planes is very high. By night with the observation periscope you are not likely to see the plane before it turns on the Leigh light, by day it is not much better.
With the snorkel mounted RWR you have a good chance to get enough time to take corrective measures.
Personally I use the radar only when sailing surfaced in weather so bad that the snorkel cannot be used to recharge batteries, otherwise I always run underwater. The radar can be activated by the radar station near the radio one or with the R key.
Personally I use this modyou get the RWR from day one; not very historical but using the XXI is not very realistic, still I never use the XXI before mid 1943.
Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote