View Single Post
Old 09-11-18, 08:25 AM   #1
Kelly621
Officer

Downloads: 336
Uploads: 0
Default A nice touch of realism

Silent Hunter III remains my favorite of the series. I really enjoy a sim that is realistic as possible and thanks to the mod community Silent Hunter III does just that. I recently decided to give WAC 5.01 a go and ran into a situation I can't recall ever seeing in another supermod that I have used.

On my third patrol I was in transient to grid DT 98 and was just off the Spanish coast in the shipping lanes when the watch officer reported a ship spotted at long range. I put the boat on a course to intercept the contact. As I closed the distance the watch officer identified the contact as a merchant. Within a few minutes I realized the merchant was not moving as the range closed. I could see the merchant dead in the water with a heavy list to port and visible damage. I slowed and had the deck gun start lobbing a few shells into it. The merchant began to burn and a few explosion occurred. it also shot off 4 red parachute flares before sinking. I checked my captains log and found I was credited for the sinking.

For me this was one of those " Wow" moments in Silent Hunter. The dead in the water and damaged merchant made sense since it was common for merchant ship disabled by a U-Boat attack to be left behind with its crew to meet whatever fate awaited them. Here was the crude calculus of war modelled into Wac 5.01. This really was a great touch of realism.

Kelly621
Kelly621 is offline   Reply With Quote