View Single Post
Old 05-07-14, 07:06 AM   #155
Mixolyde
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeoff View Post
Glad you're enjoying it! Looks like you've put a lot of thought into possible improvements - I appreciate the suggestions.

Firstly, thanks for pointing out the periscope bug. Turns out there's a bunch of problems when using the old damage models ("advanced_damage_model = 0"), meaning the periscope and misc systems panels will not work properly. I'll fix this in the next version, but from now on I recommend always using the advanced damage models anyway.

Not sure about the CPU usage. While the game is playing I imagine it would use a lot (lots of calculations in the simulation for reactors, radar, sonar etc, as well as managing the AI for more than a thousand ships and aircraft) but while paused it shouldn't use much at all. I'll see what I can do to reduce it further.

I like the interface suggestions about the equipment storage and will probably add them to the game very soon. And the 'pressing z twice' thing is something I've been meaning to fix for ages. I'm hesitant to add depth controls to every screen though - I'll think about it, and maybe add an option for it.

Your general suggestions are excellent too. I've just made it so crew blink yellow if they are not feeling well (tired/irradiated/low on oxygen etc) and it seems to work well. I'll look into implementing the others in the next update.

Again, thanks for the feedback, glad you're enjoying the game and welcome to Subsim!

Since a lot of people are commenting on how accident prone the subs are, I will explain a bit more about what sub_reliability actually does.
Basically, the mean time between failures is 10 + 2*sub_reliability seconds. So if you use the default value of 100, there will be an accident on average once ever 210 seconds. If you set it to 0, there will be an accident on average once every 10 seconds. If you set it to a value less than -4, there will never be random accidents on the sub.
I love it, and am telling all my roguelike/FTL fan friends about it.

You might consider not supporting the simple damage model until you get more of the game finished, and then bringing it back. I'm an app developer, so I understand the pain of supporting multiple modes.

I understand not wanting to add depth controls to every screen. But having "depth under keel" on the weapon/map/periscope screen makes, sense, I think.

Blinking yellow sounds great, I would make it a slightly slower blink than the red one, so that it's less emergency looking, and more of a warning.

For the reliability, I have a suggestion that would ease the learning curve slightly, and that is to start the game with a "grace period" of maybe two minutes or so, where no random damage can occur. This gives a new person time to look around the sub and figure out the controls before all hell breaks loose. And it gives an experienced player a little bit of time to have crew pickup equipment, set O2 level, set reactor controls, etc. After the grace period you start the "mean time to failure" clock ticking like normal.

Another general suggestion. It's a little frustrating to get mission coordinates by radio, that I then have to go to my browser to look up where they are in the real world, and then plot a course. I'd suggest either a way to scroll the world map, and/or add lat and long markers to the map. I suppose you could have even more zoom levels, but then it's harder to plot a course to the green X, once you find it.

I tried using the mouse input, and it does make some things easier, but it also makes it a little clunkier. I'm sure you're aware of that and are thinking about it!

In general, it seems like the officers are not too good at assigning crew with the proper skills and equipment for jobs like fires and damage. As in, "why did you ignore the Experience Firefighter with an extinguisher and gloves, and put in this Strong guy with nothing?" Is this a bug or a "feature" of bad leadership?

Also, to whom can I paypal a small donation?
Mixolyde is offline   Reply With Quote