View Single Post
Old 02-26-07, 08:59 PM   #149
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort
At the moment I'm reading The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, the author of The Caine Mutiny. Its a good read, recounting WWII from the fictional perspective of a Navy family. BTW, anyone who hasn't read The Caine Mutiny (Winner of the 1951 Pulitzer Prize), it's a must read for anyone interested in the workings of the Navy and its role in WWII from a very human and realistic view. Wouk writes at a high level so you have to work at reading his books, but believe me, its worth it!
A good novel, Winds of War. If you don't know, there are two successors, or better book two and three, title is "War and Remembrance, parts 1 and 2". It is a fluid continuing from the first book, and they all belong together. I liked how the amosphere and the "breath of that time" was brought to life, on multiple continents. A good example of history book meeting fiction. Sometimes you learn more from a more subjective approach on things, like here. So far I have red the complete work twice. The TV series was not en par with the books, but Robert Mitchum as Pug Herny did well.

What I read currently: during siesta time after midday, "The Plumed Serpent" by DH Lawrence and "Silk" bei Alessandro Baricco (short book and an artful narration, a most exquisite little surprise), and in bed some easier stuff, a thriller: "Lautlos" (noiseless) by Frank Schätzing.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote