View Single Post
Old 03-22-17, 09:43 AM   #41
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
The upkeep would be easier not having to deal with oxygen, map and other sensors or computers. Points, condensers and the like and you're good to go. I know guys with early 70's G.M classic vehicles and they upgraded the distributors to Hei systems. Silicon grease on the underside of the module once a year as part of routine maintenance and they are fool proof. One other thing with marvel, my understanding was it helped lubricate the valves in fuels without a lead content in older classic cars without hardened valve seats.

Modern cars today encompass incredible engineering. 300hp is now common in basic " grocery getter " vehicles. A friend's basic 2007 Ford Mustang with a 3.7 liter 6 cylinder engine pumps out 305 horsepower and gets an honest 30+ miles per gallon. With a tuned dual exhaust and the use of an X pipe, I'm sure it could get 35 MPG or better and increase the torque and flatten the curve. I have driven various sports cars and yet I know someone with a 2000 something Toyota Prius that will out turn and out handle most if not all of them if not outpower and outrun them . The newer cars may have the engineering but they rust out in a couple years and devalue faster than most people can make payments on them. The older cars like your 60 Buick have character and much nicer lines and don't look like a shoe box on 4 wheels either.
Reliability of today's vehicles is quite good. I worked on cars in the 1980's when O2, MAP, MAF, coolent sensors were in it's infancy. ROM computers with little more than a code chart and digital volt meter to diagnose and repair. Chilton manual at my side.

I was considering a Pertronix but the mixed reviews I chose not to change the ignition. I did not want to go to a complete HEI set up either. Originality is my desire. I have no issues with points. The Buick has never stranded me. Tow truck provided by Hagerty is but a phone call away.

I have not heard that Marvels helps with the unleaded gas issue. Lead additive are available. I do not much worry about the nailhead valve train and wear. Unless of course someone installs hardened seats.