View Single Post
Old 03-25-11, 04:50 AM   #9
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

I can see your argument except for one thing, The tiger II already had the most powerful gun fitted to a world war two tank. Even know it was only another 88mm design it could penetrate more than even the soviet 120mm design. Its not just size but shell design and velocity. The soviets chose spilit shell, that is separate powder in a much larger size and shell to compensate for German superiority in cannon.

So the German's never needed to up gun to the point the soviets did.

The Tiger II's 88 was more than capable for doing its designed job well into the next decade.

My original argument in this post was not that the Tiger II was a direct copy of the Panther but an evolution of the Panther, More so than the tiger 1.

Take a Tiger and a Panther and compare them side by side to a King Tiger and ask yourself what features where borrowed to make it? The only logical conclusion is that they borrowed heavily from the Panther and not at all from the Tiger. So much so that the Panther and Tiger II were to use common parts to ease production.

which brings me back to the concept of Naming the Tiger II the Panther Two instead. And as for the original Panther II it really was just a Panther with uprated armor and a new smaller turret.

I contest that the Tiger II got its name just for the sake of it's name. The Panther never had the fear factor of the Tiger and for propaganda's sake The Tiger II got its name, Cause clearly its lineage is Panther!
Freiwillige is offline   Reply With Quote