View Single Post
Old 11-28-18, 10:44 AM   #47
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by areo16 View Post
Thanks for the offsets for the .dat file in hex very helpful.

So I understand the optimized approach you are talking about here, you are still copying the same model (obj) over and over again in S3D?

Isn't it possible to just reference the same model in S3D and just go about it that way, wouldn't that save space?

I guess, from a hex point of view, what edits would we want to make to these files to make them more optimized. Looks like looking for duplicate data chunks for models (type 1) is step 1, and then possibly deleting the duplicates and re-reference the deleted duplicate data chunks with the original model reference id?

@EDIT

Yes in S3D it is possible to reference the same model in multiple nodes and this works just fine. It also decreases file space.

Is it possible to reference a model ID that is in another .dat file?
The Sea Forts were built in a program much like S3D. It's called Jammu.
ref never released it because he didn't feel it was good enough (Suffered from some annoying bugs now and then) and did not want to support it nor anyone that may use it. It actually pre-dates S3D by several years!
I still use it as it has the ability to mass export ALL 3D objects and UV mappings in one click! (Then it crashes)

You can use the Placement node as one way to use objects from a different dat. Look at how Harbors and Cities are done.

On the format of dats? Look at one in S3D with the List view. That show how the dat is actually coded from node 1 to the end of file.
The Tree view makes it easier for you to understand the relationship of each node