View Single Post
Old 10-28-10, 08:08 PM   #204
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Rack911 reported back that the server had been rooted, and they cleaned it up. They have been monitoring it the last few days and I wanted to wait before posting the news. Steven says he has updated the server, and hardened it. All good stuff, I am sure.

When this first broke out, I suspected a problem with the Google ads. I had heard about this before on other websites such as this one. But even though I suspected the google ads, I knew that I did not know with certainty what the problem was, so I contacted Scott at AdminGeeks. He had done some work for me before and did it well, in a timely fashion. Not this time. When AdminGeeks reported no issues (after 4 days delay), I thought it could be false positives on some AVs, especially since many people did not get AV alerts. I never got an AV warning from Norton, not at home, college or the hotel. Turns out it was not a false positive.

When the problem persisted, I contacted Planet Advance Services to find this problem. They ran a clamscan and let it go at that. That was not what I asked them to do, I specifically directed them to find the problem, at any cost, and they showed no initiative in helping. When a long time customer (7 years) reports the number of users getting alerts on their server, they should be much more proactive .It should be their problem too. I made it clear to them I wanted to know if they could handle this, and if not, let me know who could. Their responses were very sketchy. I'm talking with their management about this now.

I apologize to everyone that this happened. I sincerely apologize. When I get messages from multiple members about something like this, I have to turn it over to an IT expert. It's a shame that you cannot depend on professionals to follow through.

Neal