View Single Post
Old 10-31-23, 07:45 PM   #3
EAST
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ...more thoughts

I've been keeping a dev log that I'll post on here until I've put up a website. Be gentle about the graphics, they are placeholders mostly downloaded from the internet.

The Grand Plan

Grow this into a game that encompasses small simulation details like a full TDC or Hydrophone Station (more points for using them), as well as "Real World" details like managing your fuel, ammo, food and repairs, your crew (including recruiting ala MechWarrior 1) and even your political position within the Faction/World (Think of someone commanding a War with subordinates who manage the logistics to support the war). I've got a lot of experience with optimized database design and some definite ideas about how this can be implemented into a Sub/Surface Combat game without ruining the fun, or immersion (I hope).

1st stage: As I mentioned is a basic Iron Wolves level game. If you aren't familiar with it, go here: https://www.subsim.com/subsim-review-iron-wolves/ and check out the review. There will be Northland, Westland and Assassin factions as well as "GigaCorp" (or some nonsense) that represents the big global power that does most of the shipping you'll be poaching from. This stage is about combat and camaraderie. Note: If any of the original Assassins join, they will automatically be given high rank. Once there is a member of high rank, they will have to accept a player that wants to be an Assassin.

2nd Stage: DEPLETING RESOURCES. BTW: If there is any interest in the game at all, I'd like to hear suggestions and preferences - this stage is subject to change based on community input. The goal here is to bring in a little bit of "RTS" gameplay. These are planned to be simplified versions of RTS elements that represent the things that the actual submariner and ship commanders would have to consider. We're talking about FUEL, AMMO, STORES, REPAIRS and even FRESH WATER. I have the underpinnings for this in place already, but it's just stubbed in and not active. This also means that I'll be adding BASES. Every Faction will have a home base and some pre-assigned satellite bases on various Islands. This will allow for refueling, repairs, rearming and resupply.

3rd Stage: Faction Squadrons/Wolfpacks & Assassin player created packs/squadrons. Factions have "Squadrons" (or whatever they end up being called) that are automatically created but will be assigned by the Faction Leader. The Assassins Faction will have a special ability: Highly ranked players will be able to form their own (Groups/Tribes/Squadrons/etc) inside the faction and we'll track them in the database.

4th Stage: Crews, Base Expansion & New/Conquer/Destroy Base capabilities.
5th Stage: Aircraft (non-pilotable - maybe in the future?)

As a solo developer, as much as I might like to do it, building a world that includes real timelines, locations, cities, etc. would make this impossible to do alone. And truly, Iron Wolves was so much fun, it didn't matter that it wasn't historical.

NOTE: Please weigh in on these plans, particularly if you think something else is more important, or you hate an idea, etc.

Weigh in if you are interested, encouragement always helps.