View Single Post
Old 09-11-17, 09:45 AM   #3572
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You've got the general idea correct. The game doesn't "draw" any 3D artwork until it has to. So, while you're cruising about the ocean, and are outside of what we guess is about a 30k radius circle, the game just tracks the RGG Groups as a whole, as numbers, not as individual ships in those groups. Once you get inside that "drawing" radius, then it will do the necessary calculations as found in the RGG Properties page and the "Define Group Contents" settings in the ME. If you look at the file in a text editor, you can see it all in one place. This "technique" is one of the reasons SH4 runs better than SH3, and even the earlier versions of SH4 (v1.3 and earlier). The game will then draw the vessels as necessary to be seen by the player at the horizon (20k). However, a bad "call" to one vessel in the whole group can and does bring the whole game down. Narrowing down the possibilities is key to finding an issue. If it crashes every time at the same place every time, then you'd look at all of the 80-100% generating ships - OR - something to do with the land, if you're withing 30k of the land mass, say a gun emplacement... but I don't think you're within that range... maybe... What we've found with FotRSU is that the amount of vessels and / or airplanes generated can definitely affect your computer. When Truk was all messed up in earlier versions, there would be 100 plus vessels all congregated in the atoll, from about 4 or 5 groups, and it didn't crash on my computer, but it sure was slow, to the point that one airplane may well have crashed me. I'd say one airplane is worth four ships as far as computer-intensive goes, just my guess. So look for airbases nearby also, that might have a bad plane call or CFG...
BTW, what does ReportPosMin=-1 do? does that mean SH4 will never report the convoy's position or that it will constantly update the position?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote