View Single Post
Old 05-20-15, 06:19 PM   #25
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
The interface I'm thinking of is replacing the Attack Data Tool (the upper right pull-out, on the periscope screen) with something like the German KiUB. I want all dials to be visible at one time. Range, Speed, Ship Height, Relative Bearing, AoB.....available with one look.
I'm not familiar with the German tool, but it sounds interesting. I've not played the German side in SH4, and I never tried manual targeting in SH3. I'll have to check it out to get a better idea what that all means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
The idea of marking the map with a bearing/range fix. Isn't that what's done with the white checkmark on the stock games Attack Map?
Maybe I'm wrong in understanding what you're asking for?
My issue is that the mark only appears on the Attack Map, and the drawing tools are only available on the Nav Map.

Here's my procedure that I've used for manual targeting:
Obtain a contact.
Determine target bearing and range, send it to the TDC, and write it down.
Start the stopwatch.
Go to the Nav Map, pause the game, plot target's position on the map.
Unpause the game, wait a few minutes, get a new range and bearing, note it, pause to map it, unpause, wait, repeat the cycle a few times.
Once I've got several fixes plotted, I can start determining his course and speed and begin my attack.

It's the extra step of noting his position and pausing to draw it out. With the position keeper on, it will plot the target position from the range and bearing, but that's only on the attack map. If the drawing tools were available, I could mark the positions and use the tools to figure course and speed. If the position keeper mark appeared on the Nav Map, I wouldn't need to pause and plot out his position. (Also, if a speed is entered into the TDC, that mark is going to be moving.)

My dream system would automatically plot the position fix with the stopwatch time on the Nav Map whenever I send the bearing/range to the TDC.