View Single Post
Old 05-20-15, 09:07 AM   #22
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark
I'm interested in this new interface. Willing to share any information on it yet?
My most wished for feature in the tracking/attack area of SH4 has always been a way to automatically mark the map when I take a bearing/range fix. If you found a way to add that, and that was all you added, I would be quite happy.
The interface I'm thinking of is replacing the Attack Data Tool (the upper right pull-out, on the periscope screen) with something like the German KiUB. I want all dials to be visible at one time. Range, Speed, Ship Height, Relative Bearing, AoB.....available with one look. Once set, you send the cumulative data to the TDC. Right now, you have to navigate through the Attack Data Tool to have the separate dials send their manual data along.

A draw back to manually determining range with the periscope Telemeter Divisions with Optical Targeting Correction has been when you set the OTC Range dial and "Send" the data to the TDC. Where ever the periscope is fixed on a bearing....that relative bearing is used to determine the solution. Unless you remember to "Lock" back onto the target after determining range, the relative bearing of the target can be inacurate. I want to eliminate this by having a dial that sets a relative bearing, not just the scopes viewable position.

The Ship Height Dial would be a new dial that would set a height figure for calculating the math equation of Height and Angle equals Range. The Angle comes from the Stadimeter reading taken of a reference point on the ship. The stock game has us using the ships mast as the reference point (some of these mast height figures are in error.....some ships don't even have masts?!). I plan to have the Recognition Manual give us a Height figure for several points on a target. It's up to you to chose which point of reference to use, set the Height Dial to the height of the reference, then take a Stadimeter reading from that reference point. If you can't see the mast, use the funnel, or some other point of reference.

The idea of marking the map with a bearing/range fix. Isn't that what's done with the white checkmark on the stock games Attack Map? I know some mods remove the Attack Maps ability to show that mark, as well as other map indicators on both Attack/Navigation Maps (I don't plan to eliminate any of the stock games help features......it's my thought you can remove most help features as you see fit by using the various "Game Play Options".....you don't need a mod to eliminate them for you). Maybe I'm wrong in understanding what you're asking for?

=========

Guess I was wrong in understanding what james_nix asked about......and yes, there can be added messages to the clipboard report. Although a lot of players don't like the extra chatter, especially if it slows down Time Compression while traveling. That can also be changed within the game too.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote