View Single Post
Old 12-28-11, 08:26 AM   #427
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

The music is terrible and the campaign...well...I refuse to even try it.

I see where you're coming from Herr B, but they must have known that a combat sim within FSX's framework could work (that is to say a sim like FSX but with a damage model and bullets/cannons/bombs)...I mean, FSX has been pushed in many directions since it has been released...and yes, it's not particularly well optimized either and has since been abandoned by MS (although not by choice to be fair since the section of MS that made FS was shut down) but the ways it has been pushed, by Accusim alone, have far exceeded the boundaries of the original program.
Understandably though there was a push on graphics, because let's face it, Oleg was trying to bring in a wider audience, all sim makers are (with perhaps the exception of the chaps behind such sims as Dustcart Simulator...) so the flashy graphics have to be there for the CoD group, but the damage modelling is nice, although I haven't seen much of it outside of screenshots on SimHQ, however I did explode my radiator on the Hurricane yesterday (in a dogfight map the radiators should really be open when it starts if you're starting in the air) and the oil effects were nice and when I opened the canopy I saw flames coming down the side, so I quickly cut the fuel pump and feathered the prop and made a nice controlled ditch in the channel whereupon my pilot refused to bail out...ho-hum...
I've also since found that the radiator lever does work and is animated (at least on the Hurricane it is) and its lack of working initially was probably due to me not enabling the temperature damage module. Also, it seems the trim wheel on the Hurricane also works when I jacked the graphics up a bit...so it could be a graphics setting thing...which seems a bit daft but not entirely surprising.
I do agree though that this has a lot of promise, a LOT, and I really hope that the new guy who is heading up 1C on this after Olegs departure pursues this, and when you compare the engine sound in the first videos to come out after release with the engine sound now, there is definitely an improvement, and sound in any game is one of the most vital things to 'put you there' imho...so they're making good steps and I hope that 'Battle for Moscow' doesn't pull too many resources off the patch team for CloD.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote