View Single Post
Old 11-24-09, 07:10 AM   #12
Lt.Fillipidis
Weps

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Anytime Snestorm.

@ Randomizer
I've read the text you provided me but i havent seen any clear refferences that prohibit the use of a Red Cross flag by belligerent warships.
Although the following articles give me the impression that belligerent warships ARE eligible to assist the sick, wounded and shipwrecked thus being shown some tolerance.(which applies to both U-156 and Cressy and Hogue incidents equalizing the scales, although i personally put more weight on U-156 since they were rescuing civilians that belong to the enemy)

Art. 16. After every engagement, the two belligerents, so far as military interests permit, shall take steps to look for the shipwrecked, sick, and wounded, and to protect them, as well as the dead, against pillage and ill-treatment.
They shall see that the burial, whether by land or sea, or cremation of the dead shall be preceded by a careful examination of the corpse.

Art. 17. Each belligerent shall send, as early as possible, to the authorities of their country, navy, or army the military marks or documents of identity found on the dead and the description of the sick and wounded picked up by him.
The belligerents shall keep each other informed as to internments and transfers as well as to the admissions into hospital and deaths which have occurred among the sick and wounded in their hands. They shall collect all the objects of personal use, valuables, letters, etc., which are found in the captured ships, or which have been left by the sick or wounded who died in hospital, in order to have them forwarded to the persons concerned by the authorities of their own country.

U-156 and the other uboats where fully covered by these articles since all involved forces were informed about the incident a few hours after it occured.
Assuming that they were forbidden to use a Red Cross flag, makes them a legal target to attack.
Legally
Robert C. Richardson may not be guilty of war crime but in the moral code, it's certain he's guilty as much as it's certain that the bomber attacked.

Edit: Typo.
Lt.Fillipidis is offline   Reply With Quote