View Single Post
Old 05-26-20, 11:39 AM   #11
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
You can buy non-steam versions of SH5 for like $10.

So there is no excuse not to just buy a copy you can easily mod.

For manual TDC, an easy way is the 90 degree fixed-wire attack.

For this attack, range to target does not matter.

You must determine the target speed and course, and then plot an intercept 90 degrees to the target's course.

Set your scope at 000, and turn on the TDC, and enter the target speed in the TDC. Change the Angle on Bow to 90 degrees to either starboard or port. If your uboat is to the right of the target, set it to 90 starboard. If your uboat is to the left of the target, set it to 90 Port. Turn off the TDC.

Now move your scope towards the target. Watch the gyro angle. Keep moving the scope until the gyro angle is 0 (straight up on both dials). This should be 10 degrees or so to the left or right of 0 bearing, depending on your torpedo speed setting.

Now just wait for the target(s) to cross your vertical reticle. As the choice part of the target crosses the reticle, fire your torpedo. You can target multiple rows in a convoy this way. If you do it right they will hit bang - bang - bang - bang from farthest to nearest.

Make sure you open your tube doors prior to firing or you will miss your shot waiting for the doors to open.

Steve
Thanks. That seems to work perfectly.

I have a couple of questions:

I’m using TWOs though not with attack disc or real navigation. I’d like to expand on the above method. As this is an ideal situation (sub at 90 degree angle etc) how does the tdc work in other situations where things are more hurried? Sometimes there are destroyers around and you have to make a snapshot and hope for the best.

In the above situation, if I entered everything as explained but moved the periscope away from zero to the target early, would the gyros adjust accordingly?

If I’m not at a 90 degree angle from the target, do I work out what angle I’m at on the map and put that in under bearing on the tdc and go from there.

Lastly, does one ever need to input the range?

I’d like a written explanation of all this if possible (I’m not so keen on video tutorials).

Thanks!
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote