View Single Post
Old 11-12-07, 05:48 PM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Earlier Bradleys had red screens for their thermal sights, and later they turned to green. I strongly assume it is thermal images the video shows - but I will not bet my life on it. the Bradley is equipped with thermals, if it may also have night vision devices, or only special units, or has been refitted with NV meanwhile, I do not not. But to 90% I think the answer is no.

Since the 2A5, there is a gunner's daylight sight (GPS), thermal sight (also GPS), and auxiliary sight (GAS, daylightl, for reserve), and a TC's daylight sight (periscipe), and TC's thermals. All of these allow gunner and TC to use systems indepedently from each other, and look into different directions at the same time. the TC looks into a scope for the peri, and onto a screen for thermal. The TC can override gunner from any of these to make the gun swing to where the TC is looking at (override mode), or make the TC's current sight move to where the gunner is looking at and where the gun is pointing at. Override mode is easier in the A5 than it was in the A4, and at leats in SBP' more intuitive, I always struggled with this switching between normal and KP mode. The positions of some of the hardware sights have been changed from A4 to A5 (the swedish 2A6/Strv 122 changed it slightly again, due to additional armour layers at the turret, and on the roof). SBP paints it in that way that if you switch between thermal and peri, both can remain very different viwing directions, which would make them two different devices on the turret roof, whereas the gunner's thermals and optics always will be synchronized, with the expection of vertical angle of the GAS.

In modern Leo-2s, there is also an equivalent to the american IVIS system, but I do not know if it was implemented with the A5 or A6. I posted a video on it some longer time ago, where it was to be seen in some short scenes, it were finnish Leo2A5, if I remember correctly. Very sophisticated. SBP-PE does not simulate either american or German IVIS currently. If it is planned for, I do not know.

Of no other type than the A4 more Leopard-2 were produced or had been upgraded to, as far as I know. That includes both the new produced A4s, and earlier versions that were upgraded to the A4.