View Single Post
Old 10-09-05, 10:25 AM   #14
Abraham
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: The SS (separated from the Holocaust thread).

@ Konovalov:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov
I thought that the Wehrmacht had also sworn loyalty to Hitler personally by taking the oath when joining.
You're right, and I know, but I was just discussing the SS. I think though that the oath of the Wehrmacht was slightly differently worded - but I'm not sure, the Nazi-system not being my favorite object of study...
A difference between the loyalty of the Army and the SS though, was that Hitler (rightfully) never completely trusted the Army, oath or no oath. Indeed, there was opposition within the Arm from the moment he took power, sometimes resulting in coup attemps. The SS was basically a volonteer and (Nazi-)political force and as such fully trusted by him. Much more than the Army, the SS - including the Waffen-SS - was Hitler's tool of power.
It's difficult for me to imagine Hitler ruling Germany without the SS...

@ Damo1977:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham
... Your: "his political agenda might not have been right" is an understatement that I did not expect from an Aussie!
I've done it again, just saying some people must have thought it was right otherwise he would not have gotten anywhere in politics.
C'mon Damo1977, don't be so defensive! You always claim to be blunt and outspoken, so I found a funny remark fitting for your careful wording...

As far as Hitler and Nazism is concerned, I prefer to make my position cristal clear.

@ Jace11:
Thanks for the link. Remarkable how often the Waffen-SS was involved in war atrocities, isn't it? Of course they were not doing the 'dirty jobs' in the concentration camps, but let there be no doubt: if ordered, they would have done those 'dirty jobs' as well.
The link also contains this info:
Quote:
THE AMSTERDAM REPRISAL (October 24, 1944).
When S.D. officer Herbert Oelschagel was murdered by the Dutch resistance on October 23, 1944 in Amsterdam, the Nazi reprisal was swift and severe. Next day, 29 civilians were arrested and pedestrians on the Apollolaan were forced at gunpoint to witness their execution. At the same time, several buildings were deliberately set on fire.
That's the place where I usually pay my respect on Remembrance Day (May 4th) since the mid fifties, the place being 400 meters from my home...